View Full Version : Sencha Touch Theme Contest, April 2011
19 Apr 2011, 1:37 PM
This thread is for discussing the April 2011 Sencha Touch Theme Contest (http://www.sencha.com/theme-contest/).
In particular, please use this forum to disucss any technical issues that you might have a) getting the sample app up and running, b) understanding how to create your own custom themes.
Of course you can share your work here too if you want, but don't give away all your creative secrets before the May 2nd 2011 deadline!
Good luck everyone, and please let us know if you need any help.
19 Apr 2011, 2:22 PM
You might find the following resources useful for getting started on the theming competition:
* Launch blog post (http://www.sencha.com/blog/sencha-touch-theme-contest/)
* Contest page (http://www.sencha.com/theme-contest/)
* Instructions (http://www.sencha.com/theme-contest/contest-instructions/)
* Official rules (http://www.sencha.com/theme-contest/contest-rules/)
* Roookies project on GitHub (https://github.com/senchalearn/roookies/)
Try the app on a touch device or WebKit browser:
* Unthemed (http://senchalearn.github.com/roookies/)
* With sample theme (http://senchalearn.github.com/roookies/?style=demo)
General information about Sass, Compass, and Sencha Touch theming:
* Sass and Compass - The Next Wave in Styling and Theming (http://vimeo.com/18084338)
* An introduction to theming Sencha Touch (http://www.sencha.com/blog/an-introduction-to-theming-sencha-touch/)
* Theming Sencha Touch (http://vimeo.com/17879651)
* Sencha Touch SASS Variables and Mixins Reference (http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/touch/docs/theme/)
* Tapptics design resources (http://www.tapptics.com/)
20 Apr 2011, 12:10 AM
too sad the contest ends right before the senchaDevs con, so i am completely busy with my preparations and won't make it.
but i will ask sebastian from the extthemes-project.
20 Apr 2011, 1:54 PM
Start with the sample theme: you might be able to do something pretty easy in a few hours :-)
22 Apr 2011, 3:18 PM
I have a couple questions:
1. Can you submit more than one theme?
2. Should I focus on making the most interesting theme I can or making full use of Sencha Touch?
24 Apr 2011, 5:10 PM
I have the exact same two questions. To extend #2, will I score more points by using the picto iconography (ie the ones in the demo), or by creating an inlining my own iconography?
25 Apr 2011, 12:24 PM
Go crazy with multiple entries. The only thing I would say is that if you do so, make sure they are quite different: we don't want to be judging 10 subtle variations of the same main concept.
As for pictos, you probably know that these are embedded in the CSS using Sass functions (actually there's an example in the green roookies theme, although they're not actually used) - you can use any of your own icons like this. (I personally recommend embedding over linking to external icon resources)
This competition is about theming alone, so we won't be judging changes to HTML or JS. But if you do want to show how you might have improved it given the chance, feel free to fork the GitHub repo :-)
26 Apr 2011, 2:52 PM
any chance you could change the JS to animate .shot-meta by something other than max-height? or maybe make the max-height 3 or 4em so it's more flexible?
28 Apr 2011, 2:35 PM
Does anyone know where can I change the value of the "$theme-name" var??
2 May 2011, 1:58 PM
I'm curious - what's the ballpark number of submissions for the theme contest?
2 May 2011, 3:25 PM
Thanks for holding this contest! Enjoyed learning more about Sencha Touch theming in the process :D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3 Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.