PDA

View Full Version : Charts don't work on android (no SVG - need canvas support)

KinkyMunkey
22 May 2011, 1:09 PM
Android does not support SVG - So the charts in 4.0.0 do not work.

Any idea when will you have canvas support for the charts?

I am trying to convince my boss to upgrade to ext js 4 but the broken charts on android devices is a deal breaker for him.

22 May 2011, 1:28 PM
Ext JS is not fully supported on mobile devices.

KinkyMunkey
22 May 2011, 1:52 PM
obviously not - my question was WHEN will the charts be supported. Quit spamming threads to advertise your book and training classes (15,121 posts really? were they all just as insightful? were ANY of them longer then your signature?)

perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about could comment as to why canvas support is not included right now? i heard it was planned and in the SVN at some point. Is there a specific reason it isn't supported?

22 May 2011, 2:05 PM
obviously not - my question was WHEN will the charts be supported

but if you really want to make it about mobile devices- it also won't work in older version of internet explorer ( <= 8) which is still pretty big in corporate environments - so it's not just an android problem.

perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about (and isn't just interested in increase their post count - 15,121 really?) could comment as to why canvas support is not included right now? i heard it was planned and in the SVN at some point. Is there a specific reason it isn't supported?

My apologies for missing the mark.

However, I highly suggest correcting your tone if you are to get help around here.

22 May 2011, 2:07 PM
Btw, thanks for reporting my post! I'll be sure to talk to the fellow moderators and let them know that you disapprove of me.

edspencer
22 May 2011, 2:11 PM
@KinkyMunkey I'm not going to remove Jay's post as per your moderation request. He's trying to help you with the correct answer. Ext JS has never been targeted to work on Android devices - it's a desktop product. I don't know who gave you the impression that Ext JS works on Android or other mobile devices but it wasn't us.

For the mobile side of things we have Sencha Touch, to which we will be adding charting support later this year via canvas.

KinkyMunkey
22 May 2011, 2:20 PM
We use ext 3 in another project and it works fine on android. flot charts work great, but they use canvas

I just want to know if you are planning on adding canvas support for the charts or not.

If you are not, there is no reason for us to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade to 4.0

edspencer
22 May 2011, 2:22 PM
As I mentioned, we'll be adding canvas support to Sencha Touch this year. We have never supported Ext JS on mobile devices and have no plans to do so, including adding canvas charts to Ext JS.

Nickname
22 May 2011, 7:35 PM
Hi Ed,
pardon me for asking here, but will you support Canvas in ExtJs Draw again?

It was part of the pre-releases and dropped at some point and now no more available as a draw engine.
If canvas support is completely dropped, users can start the ux development.

qlegrand
22 May 2011, 9:37 PM
For what it's worth, I'm converting an application from Ext 3 to Ext 4. In the Ext 3 environment I used Open Flash Charts 2 but, after looking at a few alternatives including the ExtJs 4 charting API, the RGraph charts ( http://www.rgraph.net ) in the ExtJs 4.0 version of the application because it has most of the functionality of the OFC2 charts uses the 'canvas' API and works in the Apple and Android platforms.

In the process of evaluating the alternatives I converted my charts to the Ext 4.0 chart API but find the RGraph system is generally better and more versatile and for me is not hard to use since I already manage the resizing issues (which the Ext chart system does automatically).

I also found that the Ext 4 charts were quite slow in Firefox 3 but was much better in Firefox 4.

Regards,
qlegrand

edspencer
22 May 2011, 11:29 PM
@Nickname mind if I ask what you intend to do with canvas support that SVG doesn't do?

@qlegrand the charting components are only going to improve as they mature, in performance as well as capabilities. I hope to win you back to our solution before long.

johanhaest
22 May 2011, 11:40 PM
@Edspencer,

Canvas is in general way faster in rendering sprites than SVG or VML.
I think this is why he asked.

Jamie Avins
23 May 2011, 8:00 AM
I just want to know if you are planning on adding canvas support for the charts or not.

Yes, they will be another engine option in an upcoming release. There will also be a version of charting specifically optimized for touch devices.

23 May 2011, 8:46 AM
Yes, they will be another engine option in an upcoming release. There will also be a version of charting specifically optimized for touch devices.

I know that we have customers waiting for this ;)

LesJ
23 May 2011, 11:59 AM
There will also be a version of charting specifically optimized for touch devices.

I need drawing support on the iPad. I assume you will provide since charting is built on top of drawing.

NoahK17
15 Feb 2012, 8:21 AM
I also would like my Charts to work on Android. iOS loads them perfectly, but Android default browser does not. :/

edspencer
16 Feb 2012, 4:35 PM
You're using Touch Charts, right? As opposed to desktop charts...