PDA

View Full Version : Q&A forum pointless?

dobie_
19 Sep 2011, 1:11 PM
It seems there is some overlap between the ST Q&A forum and this forum. The Q&A forum is just a really crappy version of http://stackoverflow.com. If I want that Q&A functionality I will just use stackoverflow.

May I suggest removing the Q&A forum and keeping everything in this forum?

jep
19 Sep 2011, 1:56 PM
Yeah, I asked a very similar question:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?146659-This-forum-versus-Q-amp-A-%28versus-Premium-Support%29

Got the always unsatisfying "nothing's perfect" answer.

dobie_
19 Sep 2011, 2:12 PM
Cool, I knew I wasn't alone in my opinion. I wasn't sure what exactly to search for to find your thread.

jep
19 Sep 2011, 2:15 PM
At first, I thought the Q&A forum was a great idea. At the same time they created it, they renamed this forum from "Help and Discussion" to just "Discussion". But clearly most of what is posted here is "help", whether it be a discussion of a "help" topic or otherwise. As such, it completely confuses the difference between what is a "question" and what is a "discussion" and the whole system goes down the tubes. I've decided to just ditch Q&A since Discussion gets the most traffic anyway.

dobie_
19 Sep 2011, 2:26 PM
Yeah, I've decided to ditch it, too. The features they added are broken, anyway. It marks the question with a green "ANSWERED" if anyone replies to the thread. That doesn't necessarily mean the question has been answered, and if it hasn't, will discourage future traffic from answerers.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/sencha-touch has already worked out a lot of those kinds of kinks with this interface, and gets more traffic than the Q&A forums anyway.

I still like this discussion forum, though, because of the depth of knowledge that a lot of the users and developers have about Sencha Touch.

mitchellsimoens
20 Sep 2011, 4:58 AM
The Q&A forum doesn't automatically mark the first reply as answered. Someone has to click on the "Mark Answer" link to mark it as being answered.

Q&A forum should be for asking questions on how to do something or how to fix a bug or error you are getting.

Discussion forum is to discus something. Like you are discussing the relevance of the Q&A forum, this is the proper forum for that.

Yes, people are still posting questions for help in the Discussion forum. I said nothing is perfect because we can't control where someone posts it. If I think it should be in the Q&A forum, I will move it, and vice-verse.

jep
20 Sep 2011, 7:09 AM
I said nothing is perfect because we can't control where someone posts it. If I think it should be in the Q&A forum, I will move it, and vice-verse.

I don't really see much moving going on. At least not from the standpoint of the sheer number of questions that are still in Discussion.

dobie_: Thanks for the pointer on Stack Overflow for ST. I have used it but not for ST. I might start trying my questions there since people have more of a motivator to answer them (points).