PDA

View Full Version : Migraion from Ext 2.2 to 4.0

natuu.raja
28 Sep 2011, 2:22 AM
I am new to ExtJs and having the application developer with Ext 2.2 and planning to migrate from Ext 2.2 to Ext 4. Can any one please provide your suggest to move forward.

Thanks in Advance.....

skirtle
28 Sep 2011, 3:09 AM
I would suggest that upgrading an application from 2.2 to 4.0 is not a task that should be assigned to someone new to ExtJS. You will need to get a good understanding of the existing application and ExtJS 2.2 before you can start to upgrade it.

After that you'll need to learn ExtJS 4. The videos and guides that come with the docs are a good starting point and cover many of the key changes that occurred between 2 and 4.

The compatibility pack is intended to make upgrading from 3 to 4 much easier. It may help with 2.2 as well.

Upgrading an app from 2.2 to 4 is a big job. For some apps it would be quicker just to write the UI again, using the old UI code purely for inspiration. There is no simple way to decide whether this is the best strategy, it's a judgement call dependent on a lot of factors.

mitchellsimoens
28 Sep 2011, 7:57 AM
While 2.x and 3.x isn't as big of a change as going from 3.x to 4.x, under the hood there are. What I mean by "big of a change" is the syntax. Now if you have many custom classes, this is when the under the hood changes will greatly affect you.

You have two options and each aren't going to be the easiest. If I were in your shoes, I would start from scratch as your app will be that much healthier. Migrating is great and all but you are open to having bad (and not optimal) code floating around your app.