PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about AJAX and EXT

ammarX786
31 Oct 2007, 9:15 PM
I really like the UI features of EXT and want to use them in our app at work, but can't use the AJAX stuff because of some firewall restrictions. Since I am new to EXT I just want to know if this is possible, can I use EXT without AJAX?

Thanks,
Ammar

JeffHowden
31 Oct 2007, 9:44 PM
This is the first I've heard of AJAX not being useable due to firewall restrictions. You can certainly use Ext without using any AJAX, it'll just mean a setup more along the lines of traditional page load, click lick, page load paradigm. Do you have some links to substantiate your AJAX/firewall issues?

ammarX786
1 Nov 2007, 5:55 AM
ok sounds good, thanks for the info. as far as AJAX/firewall issue, it's just something our project manager told us we are not allowed to do on this assignment, so we can't use it :(

tryanDLS
1 Nov 2007, 5:56 AM
How can you have firewall issues - it's just http traffic over port 80.

ammarX786
1 Nov 2007, 7:30 AM
we aren't allowed to use XMLHttpRequest.

hendricd
1 Nov 2007, 7:36 AM
Given that restriction (which enforces the same 'same-domain' policies that your browser does in the first place) you wont be able to use any modern Web 2.0 framework (beyond DOM element dressing).

You'll likely remain with prettier static pages. That's a shame. :s

ammarX786
1 Nov 2007, 7:57 AM
Given that restriction (which enforces the same 'same-domain' policies that your browser does in the first place) you wont be able to use any modern Web 2.0 framework (beyond DOM element dressing).

You'll likely remain with prettier static pages. That's a shame. :s

well... can i still use the UI portion of EXT JS, just to pretty up the overall look of my app.

hendricd
1 Nov 2007, 8:02 AM
You sure can ;)