View Full Version : Model save not firing success/failure events

3 Jan 2012, 11:33 PM
I have a model that is persisting correctly to the database. Whether it does or does not, the success/failure events do not fire. I am using code similar to the Sencha docs:

success: function(response) {
console.log('obj save success!');
var json = Ext.decode(response.responstText);
failure: function(response) {
console.log('obj save failure!');

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

4 Jan 2012, 12:49 AM
Do you see the requests come back in the Net or Network tab? Do they succeed or fail? What type of proxy are you using? Have you tried adding a callback instead of success/failure? Have you tried putting a breakpoint in the model's save method and stepping through what's going on? Is behaviour consistent across all browsers? Are you using a recent ExtJS version?

It shouldn't stop the console logging but this line will fail:

From what I see in the ExtJS source, the first argument passed to the callback is the operation, not the response, and even if it is the response the responstText property is misspelt.

4 Jan 2012, 9:36 PM
I simplified the code just to see if it would help but it made no difference:

success: function() {
failure: function() {

I am basing this on the docs for the Model: http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/4-0/#!/api/Ext.data.Model-method-getAssociatedData

I am running Ext 4.0.7.

In the save method, I can see options.success and options.failure, so I know my success and failure events are valid, regardless of their arguments.

I can see that the internal callback responds successfully, but everything halts in the callback function:

record = operation.getRecords()[0];

I surmised that my JSON response from the server was not what Ext was expecting. I changed the JSON to match the model I am saving. However, the result is the same: the record is null and therefore me.set(record.data) is failing with this error:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'data' of undefined

4 Jan 2012, 10:22 PM
Agreed, it sounds like there's a problem with your response.

I believe the intention of those lines is to allow you to return any updated fields based on the save. For example, a new record might have an id or there might be a field for the last update time.

Unfortunately the way it's been implemented requires you to return your entire record from the server, which has always struck me as a bit odd.

What are you returning from the server? Are you sure it's in the correct format to be read by your model's reader?

4 Jan 2012, 10:27 PM
I changed the JSON again slightly to match what my reader expects and I got it. Thanks for the assist!