PDA

View Full Version : Animator created app works in iPhone Simulator, how to get it on a real iPhone?

gctwnl
9 Feb 2012, 7:44 AM
I am trying out Sencha Animator.I created a small app (like the Quiz app from the SenchaCon 2011). I can drag that to the iPhoneSimulator and it works there. As a newbie to this I wondered: how do I get it on a real device?

arnebech
9 Feb 2012, 9:27 AM
Typically, if you want to to try it on a real iPhone, you'd set up a web server. OS X has a built in web server (System Preferences -> Sharing) that you can enable.

gctwnl
9 Feb 2012, 3:40 PM
So that I understand this, to use an app that does not need a web server and that just works locally, I need a web server to get it on the iPhone? I load the web page and then tell the iPhone to add it to my home screen?

arnebech
9 Feb 2012, 3:51 PM
If you want to package it up as an app you could look into using phonegap or a similar service, where you can create apps from webpages and put them in the app store.

If you want just your own web app working on your phone without having to run a web server constantly, you can look into using a cache manifest, and them use the "save to home screen" option.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_manifest_in_HTML5
This will let you store a web app offline on your iPhone.

gctwnl
9 Feb 2012, 4:51 PM
Thanks.

I do not want to use the App Store, this is just an app for our family and friends.

So that I am certain I understand: What would happen if I put the app up on a web server temporarily, download it on an iOS device, add it to the home screen, but *without* the cache manifest? Would assets not be saved on the iOS device for instance?

And if I need the cache manifest, do I add that to the project HTML somehow? That could be something Sencha Animator (or Designer) could create automatically, wouldn't it? After all, it knows what should be in the manifest. "Export for Offline Use"?

arnebech
10 Feb 2012, 6:28 AM
I think if you put your app on your home screen from a webpage, it will fetch the webpage every time you open it, unless you add a cache manifest.

The only way currently to add a manifest, is to edit the exported html file to add a url to the manifest and create the manifest file manually.