PDA

View Full Version : WebDesktop example: IExplorer memory leak

blutarsky
30 Nov 2007, 2:51 AM
Hi,

I try WebDesktop example in IExplorer, I open and close a lot of windows.
My memory grown at >100MB
It's a memory leak?
There is a way to free the memory?
There is a way to force the garbage collector?

Thank you

santosh.rajan
30 Nov 2007, 3:18 AM
Mmmm interesting. IE is notorious for memory leaks. Can we put some specific numbers to the. Number of mb's per window?. anyone tried this on FF, safari, opera, IE7?

Choleriker
4 Dec 2007, 12:52 AM
Mmmm interesting. IE is notorious for memory leaks. Can we put some specific numbers to the. Number of mb's per window?. anyone tried this on FF, safari, opera, IE7?

Hi, i noticed yesterday the same problem. The memory leaks in firefox arent so huge. A window which eats 12MB in IE eats 1,5MB in Firefox. My application is that desktop style. Im using many windows which are opened and closed. A fully implemented window on my system sometimes eats 10 or 15MB which doesnt free up after close of the window.

@ExtJS Core Developers: do i have to destroy anything manually? Maybe if a plugin inserts a grid into a window, do i have to capture the destroy event of the window to destroy the grid manually? Or buttons, or layouts, what do i have to free up manually by using windows?

brian.moeskau
4 Dec 2007, 1:16 AM
The base Ext components do currently sometimes leave orphaned DOM nodes in IE due in most cases to event handlers that do not get removed properly. We have addressed this in some components for 2.0, but not all. We are planning a new event registration scheme for all components in 2.1 to address this comprehensively. Please note that this is not so much an Ext bug, as it is a major IE bug. 8-| However, our goal is definitely to handle it for you in our components.

Be aware that in custom components or other code where you may be injecting your own DOM nodes or attaching events handlers, you are responsible for your own cleanup!

Choleriker
4 Dec 2007, 1:36 AM
that this is not so much an Ext bug

I know that it isnt a extjs but. I found ext-js because of the big memory leaks in other ajax frameworks. The 0.33 of yui-ext was the only framework at this time i found which hast memory leaks.

We all will be happy if you get microsofts ie dont be ****** :)

http://www.housefloor.de/diverse/fun/stuff/th_microsoft.jpg

brian.moeskau
4 Dec 2007, 1:43 AM
Where do I get one of those?? :))

Choleriker
4 Dec 2007, 2:03 AM
Where do I get one of those?? :))

Im ASP.NET developer, is a must have! :)

SlashEMc2k
4 Dec 2007, 2:09 AM
looks like an addon for visual studio ;)

sjivan
4 Dec 2007, 5:49 AM
We are planning a new event registration scheme for all components in 2.1 to address this comprehensively.

Can you share some details about this. I'm curious to know if you're gonna go the GWT way of event handling.

Thanks,
Sanjiv