PDA

View Full Version : Urgent ! Need best practices for multi window apps (multiple browser windows)

ParthaSaha
24 Apr 2012, 3:35 AM
Please guide me . I Need best practices for multi window apps (multiple browser windows)

I searched and found a similar query here (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?35611-Best-practices-for-multi-window-apps) but the answer was inconclusive to me and atleast one forum link mentioned there is dead it seems , so I am rephrasing the old question to describe my requirements.

I'm creating a web-based app which should have separate screens open in separate browser windows. In an ExtJs 4.0 MVC , this brings up the following questions:

I need the solutions/best practices from ExtJs 4.0 MVC aspect

1) Are there any "conventions"/"guidelines" regarding whether to open another browser or use an "in window" form? One though I had was to use in-window forms for modal dialogs and new browser windows for things the use may want to "tear off" and/or be able to keep open and/or open multiple instances of.
2) If I do open a new browser window, does it have to have its own "copy" of Ext (and thus re-parse it, which I presume may become a performance issue) or can it use its parent's copy of Ext?
3) How do the parent and child windows communicate with each other (in case of several browser windows opened parallely) ?Also I assume the browser maintains a separate "domain" for each window

scottmartin
24 Apr 2012, 8:25 PM
I would recommend using ExtJS windows instead of opening new browser tabs, but requirements vary.
Each tab is self contained. Any changes would require a refresh. Loading of data would only require reloading the store.

Regards,
Scott.