PDA

View Full Version : New to Sencha

vespina
25 Apr 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi folks.

I'm chief programmer for a software consulting company in Panama & Venezuela, and we are doing some research to find a suitable programming tool for RIA development.

So far I'm impressed with Sencha and by this moment has become my main choice. But before taking the final decision, I will like to ask you what are your impressions about how good has been Sencha people in keeping backward compatibility between versions of the framework. This is maybe my main concern because I had suffered this problem with Microsoft .NET in the past. Can I have a razonable assurance that my ExtJS 4 code will continue working when Sencha release Ext JS 5 in a couple of years?

Thanks for your time

Victor Espina
TM Internacional / AvaQs Consultores

scottmartin
25 Apr 2012, 2:00 PM
Welcome to Sencha!

We are unable to provide an assurances in regards to compatibility on major version upgrades.
Although we would like to provide this ability, sometimes it is simply not possible due to changing technology.

When Ext4 was released, there was a migration path to allowed users to upgrade their Ext3 applications.

Due to the changes, I found it was easier to create a shell of the application in Ext4 framework and then copy over the forms that were created in the older version. The was a bit more involved, but you get the idea.

Each scenario is different.

I am glad I started over using the API vs upgrading. Same premise as upgrading your OS or new install. I prefer a clean install that contains no artifacts from a previous version.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Scott.

vespina
25 Apr 2012, 2:07 PM
I understand. This kind of "migration" is possible when you have just a dozen of forms, but I our case, we are talking about a major Managment Information System that will have HUNDREDS of forms... so we can not afford a major overhauling every two years... new technologies are welcome but it its critical for us that we can be confident that the old code will keep working with new versions.

For what you say I conclude that Sencha does not have a strong commitment on keeping compatibility with previous versions. Is this fair to say? If it so, how about to be able to use two diferent versions of ExtJS framework in the same app? if you don't compromise with backward compatibility but allow us to keep using the supported framework along with the new incompatible versions, this could be a way to go for us.

Thanks for your answer

Victor Espina

scottmartin
25 Apr 2012, 2:29 PM
Victor,

I am going to get you in contact with someone of a bit more authority and experience so I do not give the wrong information based on my limited experience in the last two versions.

Regards,
Scott.

vespina
25 Apr 2012, 2:38 PM
Thanks Scott.

vespina
25 Apr 2012, 2:40 PM
By the way, our app will run primarily in our customer's own LANs, so the extra time of loading two versions of ExtJS will not have an excesive impact in app's loading time (or I believe so; please correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards

Victor Espina

scottmartin
25 Apr 2012, 3:24 PM
Victor,

I discussed this with our Product Manager and he confirmed that although we do try to maintain compatibilty, we cannot commit to a fully compatible upgrade between major versions.

He also mentioned that some of our larger licensed customers who maintain license/support contracts are provided with early API changes and they can also participate in our User Acceptance Testing program to provide input and signoff on code before it is released.

This also allows you with the option to provide us with working examples of your project so we can use it in our product testing to prevent any serious issue down the road.

We also have a sandbox mode where both versions can run together as seen here:
http://localhost/extjs4/examples/sandbox/sandbox.html

"This example demonstrates Ext JS 4's sandboxing behavior which allows you to run Ext JS 3 & 4 on the same page."

We also support and maintain older versions for a set period of time.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Scott.