PDA

View Full Version : ST2 SDK Production Build - Works on '3' Network but not on 'O2' and T-Mobile

pthirlby
2 May 2012, 1:23 PM
When running an app from my server (and from my client's server) 3G devices using O2 and T-Mobile get the following message screen. '3' network is fine. A similar post hinted at implementing gzip on the web server (I am using Apache). This will combat 'transparent proxy' on the network. Any help on this please? Is it a Sencha problem or a network problem? The URL is shown for anyone who would like to try it and report back whether they get success or failure ... and which network they are on.

Jacky Nguyen
2 May 2012, 1:44 PM
You should have gzip enabled for JS / CSS assets and / or SSL on your server. Tampering with content being delivered to client devices (stripping out comments from JS / CSS files) is the ISP's fault. Also from performance perspective, text-based content should always be gzipped.

pthirlby
2 May 2012, 2:33 PM
... so i converted my index.html to index.php and added ob_start("ob_zhandler") at the top

Great .... gzips the page etc

Works fine in Chrome

Won't work on Safari on Mac or iPhone error "cannot decode raw data" apparently a known bug in Safari.

Therefore, does gzipping the code rule out a whole IOS users?

Not quite sure where we go from here, guess we will have to forget the production build option??

Thanks

Jacky Nguyen
2 May 2012, 2:35 PM
Since you're using Apache, why not just turn on mod_deflate (https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=apache+mod+default#hl=en&sa=X&ei=ibahT-_KO-WbiALYm4XeBw&ved=0CBkQvwUoAQ&q=apache+mod_deflate&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8316e992ae23057e&biw=877&bih=693)

pthirlby
2 May 2012, 8:08 PM
I am looking into that with my hosting company

I will post when I get an answer

pthirlby
5 May 2012, 11:38 AM
Jacky .... can't turn on mod_deflate, this could precipitate a change to a new hosting company, but, to clarify, if I ran SSL then does that mean that the 'transparent proxy; issue would disappear.

Jacky Nguyen
5 May 2012, 12:08 PM
Gzipping HTTP content is not considered "optional" nowadays, especially in the mobile world. Without compression the clients needlessly have to transfer ~ 5, 6 times more data, results in waste of bandwidth and long application initial load time.

SSL should prevent any content tampering too. But I highly recommended you switch to another hosting provider (there are thousands of options out there) and have mod_deflate enabled.