PDA

View Full Version : grid capacity/performance

jpaulus
5 Dec 2007, 1:54 PM
How many items should I expect the grid to handle before it seriously degrades performance? Is 2.0 any better in this regard?

Thanks!

tryanDLS
5 Dec 2007, 3:14 PM
There are a number of threads regarding grid performance and you'll see from reading them that there are no hard and fast rules about at what point it becomes a problem. That being said, there have been performance improvements in the 2.0 grid.

jpaulus
5 Dec 2007, 3:30 PM
How significant have the enhancements to 2.0 grid performance been? Upgrading is going to be a bit of effort so I'd like to be able to judge the effort/gain.

Thanks.

J.C. Bize
5 Dec 2007, 4:00 PM
How significant have the enhancements to 2.0 grid performance been? Upgrading is going to be a bit of effort so I'd like to be able to judge the effort/gain.

Thanks.

They were pretty significant for our application. Additionally we can now use new Ext 2.0 Grid features, such as grouping. Overall the upgrade was well worth the time we put into it.

Cheers,
JC

jpaulus
5 Dec 2007, 4:03 PM
JC,

Thanks for the reply. Does your application involve loading up the grid with a large amount of data or was your performance hit from custom renderers? Something else?

Thanks!

J.C. Bize
6 Dec 2007, 10:19 AM
About 30-40 rows across 10 columns on average. The performance increase was noticeable when sorting on the client side, showing/hiding/reordering columns, which used to be pretty slow on our end-users' average-spec computers.

jpaulus
6 Dec 2007, 10:53 AM
JC,

Thanks for the details. Unfortunately we're dealing with many hundreds of rows of data with almost 20 columns. I'm just hoping that someone can say that 2.0 is worth it for the upgrade.

thanks.

6 Dec 2007, 12:07 PM
upgrading is not as hard as you'd might think. only took me four hours to upgrade my page to ext 2.0 - and it's a pretty large enterprise application that's growing daily.

brian.moeskau
6 Dec 2007, 9:11 PM
No one is going to be able to answer this for you. Take an hour and prototype it -- you should be able to grab an existing 2.0 grid example, modify the columns, add a bunch of static data, and compare it to your existing app. Then you tell us. :)