PDA

View Full Version : How should I return data when remote grouping?

Fire-Dragon-DoL
28 May 2012, 4:40 PM
I noticed that remote grouping is not the equivalent of SQL GROUP BY clause, but more like a "sort" functionality (the grouping is then applied client side).

Am I wrong? If yes, how should I return data? Because if I group by city some records with remote grouping using group by, I obtain 1 record for each city, while if I don't use remote grouping I obtain record grouped per city.

What should I do so?

Fire-Dragon-DoL
29 May 2012, 4:38 AM
I'm trying to implement remote grouping as a sort functionality. Before I waste time, can anyone suggest me if it's correct?

scottmartin
29 May 2012, 5:25 AM
Please specify the result you wish to see on the client side.

Scott.

Fire-Dragon-DoL
29 May 2012, 7:01 AM
I wish to see the same result of not-remote-grouping:All records organized by a field (chosen), so I can see all records with same value for a given field under the label "myfield". Yeah, they are actually grouped.

scottmartin
31 May 2012, 10:38 AM
Remove SQL grouping and local store grouping are handled differently. if you want to see the data grouped in the grid, then grouping at the server will cause problems unless you are consolidating at the server.

Scott.

el_chief
31 May 2012, 11:12 AM
Ext Grouping is just sorting. You can have grouping summaries at the bottom of groups, which you may want to calculate on the server using group by

Fire-Dragon-DoL
31 May 2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you guys, I already disabled remote grouping because I understood that is "meaningless"

el_chief
31 May 2012, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't say that it is meaningless, just that it is essentially just sorting.

If you have more than a page worth of data, you will likely want to do that grouping/sorting on the server

Fire-Dragon-DoL
31 May 2012, 11:41 AM
Mh this could be important. Thanks for pointing it out, maybe I'll do it so.