PDA

View Full Version : problem with character encoding



herranzr
26 Dec 2007, 6:06 AM
I have tried all my application running under utf-8, or under iso-8859-1, but I have the same problem all the time, the characters like

herranzr
2 Jan 2008, 6:30 AM
I forgot to say that the problem is when I send form data to the server...

Thanks again!

Roger BORDEAUX
2 Jan 2008, 7:31 AM
Hi,

I had the same problems a time ago. This is not an Ext issue. You have to manage your character sets setting all over your application. If one script don't do it then your browser will display scrambled characters.

This is now solved for me using the following.

In the HTML file I add a line in the head section.

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />


I am using php/mysql at the server side (I support the principle is the same with other configurations). I had to be sure that my database and tables character sets are set to utf8_general_ci.

When a php script returns something to the client the following line is written in the script :

header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8");

Also be sure your scripts are written with an editor that can save utf8 files like Eclipse or PSpad editor otherwise the constants that you type in your sources would also be scrambled.

I hope this can help.

Best regards,

Roger

herranzr
6 Jan 2008, 6:19 PM
I am developing a java application, and the solution that I have found to solve the problem with the character encoding has been to create a Filter as shown at http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Tomcat/UTF-8

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks for your response, and I hope that this solution would be a good one for other people having a similar problem!!