PDA

View Full Version : Buffered Grid Scrolling Performance Unacceptable

kerbo
15 Jan 2013, 11:40 AM
In migrating our app from 3.4 to 4.1.1, I switched to buffered grids. These grids access mySQL tables, some large. I have set the page size to 200 rows. A grid will have 20 to 30 columns.

After the initial query, scrolling in FF (v18) is very slow, in fact unusable. Even scrolling sideways is slow.

On Chrome, scrolling is acceptable but still jerky. When scrolling down, the scroll will pause for a half sec about every 10 rows.

I tried the Buffered Grid scrolling example and on FF it displays the same behavior as Chrome, that is scroll/pause/scroll.

Is there is an optimum configuration for scroll settings? In my case, I know from looking at Firebug that 3 pages of data (600 rows) were fetched so my expectation is there should be no pause in scrolling and the everything should be smooth and fast.

I also noticed from other posts, Smooth Scrolling in FF 13 was a past issue. Turing this option off has no effect on this issue.

kerbo
16 Jan 2013, 7:55 PM
After much testing and removing code I figured out the following:

1. All my grids were slow, buffered grids didn't matter.

2. The problem only occurs on FF (v18). Chrome works fine.

3. The problem was due to "Frame=true" on the grid. Removing "Frame" made scrolling faster. I was able to reproduce the problem on the Infinite Grids example.

This problem may have appeared after upgrading FF to v18.