PDA

View Full Version : "Package" output directory - need input please

jack.slocum
24 Feb 2007, 8:16 AM
Ok, back before yui-ext .33 there was a bunch of files in the root that "pre-packaged" components for easy inclusion. When the "build your own" dialog was created, the packaged files were removed to cut maintenance.

With this release, it is my intention to offer both - pre-packaged files in the download and eventually, a new "build your own" page.

What is good about packaging the files is the examples can use them and figuring out dependencies will be easy (a la YUI). I realize not everyone can include ext-all.js. :)

So here is how I am envisioning the download to look:

-- ext-all.js <-- big build files stay in root?
-- ext-core.js
-- ext-yui-adapter.js
-- source (unchanged)
-- build (unchanged)
-- docs (unchanged)
-- examples (unchanged)
-- package (new)
'- grid <-- bigger components get their own folder
'- grid.js
'- edit-grid.js
'- tree
... (etc)
'- date.js <-- prebuilt utility type files go in the "package" root
'- util.js
'- widget-core.js
'- color-palette.js <-- small components can also be in root?

Before this is finalized, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

INeedADip
24 Feb 2007, 8:55 AM
One thing I REALLY liked about your library is that I could pick and choose the .js files I wanted to include. I'm sure you can in other libraries, but it is kind of confusing.

I loved how I could click on your download link and choose the elements that I want to use. The beauty of it was that I could do more then include "All Grid Stuff". I don't use the editable grid, grid drag drop, XMLDataModel, etc...

It was great how I could only include exactly what I needed and it showed me the dependencies. I don't know if you are talking strictly about folder structure, or the proccess of "build your own", but that is my two cents.

Not that this will make or break any decisions I make in using your library, but the granular "build your own" was great. I've just started experimenting with your new 1.0 alpha and it took (a little) debuging to figure out if I wanted to use your Ext.Message box I also needed to include KeyMap, DelayedTask, Format, Shadow, and Ext.state.

Now I'm rambling....great work.

jack.slocum
24 Feb 2007, 5:40 PM
Build your own will be back - only like everything else it will have a nice refactor. :)

timb
26 Feb 2007, 8:28 AM
Hi Jack,

It would be nice to have packaged css files, too. For example, package/grid.css or grid-all.css.

Regards,
Tim

jack.slocum
26 Feb 2007, 8:35 AM
The real problem with moving the css files around is then the image paths aren't valid in the download. For now, I think it makes sense to keep them in 1 folder and avoid any path issues. Luckily, it isn't 150+ files like the JS :)

timb
26 Feb 2007, 8:51 AM
Hi Jack,

I had previously created a packaged css file for the grid called grid-all.css, which I created in the css folder. I forgot about the image paths if it was moved to another folder. Sorry about that. You're right, there aren't too many css files to worry about at this point (with the pace you're on, this may change in a couple of days ;)).

Anywho, I was thinking of putting together a little VB.NET library that would package stuff up on the server side. It would support minimizing, caching and dependency checking (based on a config file). Once I do this, I won't need any pre-built files. I don't know if I'll have time to do this anytime soon, though.

BTW, you don't happen to have a single file with all dependencies listed, do you? :)

Regards,
Tim

jack.slocum
27 Feb 2007, 7:48 AM
Nope, not yet. I will though as I will need it for recreating "Build your own" with 1.0 I can give it to you when it's created.

timb
27 Feb 2007, 8:20 AM
Thanks Jack.

maerteijn
27 Feb 2007, 1:50 PM
So here is how I am envisioning the download to look:

-- ext-all.js <-- big build files stay in root?
-- ext-core.js
-- ext-yui-adapter.js
-- source (unchanged)
-- build (unchanged)
-- docs (unchanged)
-- examples (unchanged)
-- package (new)
'- grid <-- bigger components get their own folder
'- grid.js
'- edit-grid.js
'- tree
... (etc)
'- date.js <-- prebuilt utility type files go in the "package" root
'- util.js
'- widget-core.js
'- color-palette.js <-- small components can also be in root?

This looks fine to me and I think to most developers. If you could include a README file in which this is explained then everybody can read it for themselves. The "build your own" feature is nice, but I prefer to figure it out myself so I actually know what I'm doing :)