PDA

View Full Version : Sencha Touch into Ext JS?

Sesshomurai
4 Apr 2013, 4:40 AM
Hi,
Ok, so in past years we had different devices that do different things. Mobile was different in part because it provided a multi-touch display to navigate data.

Well, now, laptops and desktops (e.g. from Sony) have multi-touch displays. Sony has a 20" portable all-in-one desktop with a MT monitor. So this inevitable trend will grow.

How can we develop "real" ExtJS applications that incorporate multi-touch for these new "non-mobile" touch computers?

thanks.

slemmon
5 Apr 2013, 9:36 PM
There does indeed seem to be a convergence happening. While there is a great deal of code/architecture/philosophies shared by Touch and ExtJS they still target different device platforms in large part.

That said, Touch 2.1 works on the PC/Mac on Chrome and Safari (Opera is moving to WebKit, so I suspect we'll see Touch working on Opera soon, though we'll wait for an official Support announcement before declaring success there). Touch 2.2 will work on IE10. And I hear rumblings that a not-too-distant future release of Firefox will work with Touch (again, keep an eye out for an official Support announcement before counting Firefox amongst the supported browsers).

But for now, two libraries exist for their respective target platforms.

Sesshomurai
8 Apr 2013, 4:03 AM
Thanks for the response.

And I guess that's my point. These 'target platforms' are morphing together. Windows 8 already blurs the two domains and soon, having separate SDK's targeting different devices "when they were different" will also be obsolete. So my hope is that Sencha sees this fast coming inevitability and starts planning on merging Touch and ExtJS.

It makes the most sense technically and strategically. ExtJS already can load components on demand and detect platforms, capabilities, etc. Touch should simply be a set of integral events and components that can be used inside of ExtJS seamlessly, not separately.

Think about how libraries like twitter's Bootstrap works. It detects the form-factor and adjusts the styles accordingly. This is the future. Building separately for a touch phone and then separately for a touch laptop, and then separately for a touch desktop is a dead end....

Even though, as you point out, Touch can run on desktop's etc. It won't accommodate the other input devices on those platforms as well as ExtJs, so you get the worst of both worlds in that approach.

The truth will be this: phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, etc. will all provide many input capabilities: mouse, keyboard, multi-touch, etc.
I have a keyboard and mouse for my galaxy tab for example and a multi-touch display for my desktop. But yet I must choose Touch or ExtJS for these platforms and design my application twice.

I would suggest, sure, leave Touch and ExtJS separate, but allow them to be easily combined. For example, let me decorate ExtJS components with Touch events (e.g. scrolling a grid with my finger OR mouse). Then later, Touch becomes just a package of ExtJS.

slemmon
8 Apr 2013, 6:45 AM
The coalescence of platforms (and the frameworks that work within them) is definitely an ongoing discussion both at Sencha and within the developer community at large.

Thanks for adding your voice to that conversation!

Whatty
10 Dec 2013, 9:07 AM
I have heard from a couple of sources now that the the merging of the two platforms has in fact been adopted and work is under way.

Is this true and do we have a roadmap or timeline for this.

Whatty

burnnat
10 Dec 2013, 12:07 PM
I have heard from a couple of sources now that the the merging of the two platforms has in fact been adopted and work is under way.

Is this true and do we have a roadmap or timeline for this.

Yes, it's true - at least in terms of a common core API. You can read more in this blog post (http://www.sencha.com/blog/ext-js-on-tap/) on the topic. As far as timeline, there are no hard dates that I'm aware of. The best information I have is that in this thread (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?254379-EXTJS-5.x-inprogess&p=1015771&viewfull=1#post1015771), Mitchell says that ExtJS 5 (which will have the merged Touch/Ext core) is expected to enter a private beta in Q1 2014.