PDA

View Full Version : Slow animations on IE Browser

extjsuser84
10 May 2013, 1:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm developing an application similar to the desktop example using Ext JS 4.1.3. The UI is divided into 3 parts using a border layout. At the bottom there is a taskbar, at the center a work area and on the left a panel that acts as a toolbar.
This panel has a layout vbox and is composed by an accordion menu and a grid.
This panel should be collapsible/expandable. The problem is that the animation on internet explorer browsers is a bit slow and jerky. No problem on chrome and firefox. Since the requirement is to run the application on IE6, I would like to know if there is a way to make the animation more fluid or to disable it. I tried to set the configuration animCollapse = false and also collapseMode: 'mini' but the animation still remains.

Overall though there are problems of fluidity on IE8 and IE6 on opening windows, etc. even though I'm following the guidelines on performance optimizations.

I hope someone can help me.

Thx,
Raffaele

slemmon
13 May 2013, 9:26 AM
Does the grid in the expanding panel have a lot of rows/columns?
Any improvement if you use ExtJS 4.2 by chance?

extjsuser84
16 May 2013, 5:18 AM
Hi,
I solved the problem of the collapse/expand animation. I disabled it passing the configuration animCollapse = false when creating the widget (Ext.create ('ui.widget', {animCollapse = false, ....})). I don't know why, but setting it in the definition of the widget has no effect.

Regarding the slowness in rendering and animations on IE6 and IE8, how much the new ExtJs 4.2 would improve? The application must also run on virtual machines with 512 MB of RAM running Win Xp and IE6 ...

We have a very similar application developed 2 or 3 years ago using ExtJs 3.x and is much smoother and faster.

We are trying to follow the guidelines for performance optimization but with poor results.

spaque99
7 Jun 2013, 10:20 AM
Hello,

Have you been able to find any resolution to your problem? We are experiencing very similar slowness in general with our application under slow pc/vm running windows xp and IE8 with Ext 4.1.3.

Thanks
Seb

extjsuser84
17 Jun 2013, 12:57 AM
Hello,

Have you been able to find any resolution to your problem? We are experiencing very similar slowness in general with our application under slow pc/vm running windows xp and IE8 with Ext 4.1.3.

Thanks
Seb

Hi,
unfortunately we have not yet solved the problem of application slowness on IE.
We are following the guidelines described in the blog at http://www.sencha.com/blog/ext-js-4-1-performance but with poor results. We have disabled all the collapse-expand animations of panels and accordions, suspend-resume layouts and we have also used all the simplest and appropriate components for that which needs to be rendered but unfortunately the javascript engine and DOM navigation in Internet Explorer browsers are very slow.

An application very similar to that which we are developing was developed two or three years ago using ExtJs 3.4 and is much faster.
We are having a lot of complaints from the customer due to poor usability caused by the slowness of the application and we are thinking about rewriting all using the old framework 3.4 and we all know what it would mean. :(

The question is why there is this big difference in performance between the 3.x and 4.x version of the ExtJs framework?