PDA

View Full Version : Should my company use this tool?

oscarml
20 Feb 2008, 5:27 AM
Hi to everybody,

In my company my boss has asked me to study these libraries in order to determine in we should use them or not. First of all I've to say that he will push me up to use them, because he is in loved with the "Desktop example".

The project we're gonna implement are quite big applications (ERP, TPV, and others), hosted either in a local server or a remote one. We have planned to offer the tools we'll implemente from now on as open source, as we have some project with Public Institution as Town Halls and they demand this.

Related to this specifications, I have some questions:

1) As it can be in remote server, I've read about the heaviness of the libraries (ext-all.js, etc).
Question: Does the "build your own class" works properly? I mean, if for example I want to use GridView, Tabs and drag and drop possibility, does it reduce a lot the size?

2) About licensing:
Question: We are gonna sell our tool as an application, no toolkit or SF developer library. If we use your library (ext-2.0.1 as you can download, with no change), do we need to open the rest of the source of our application?

3) I've not too much experience in javascript, and I've seen that your examples are pure javascript. I don

evant
20 Feb 2008, 5:32 AM
1) The build your own does work, there is also an option to use the 'JSBuilder', more info in this thread:

http://extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21207

2) Ext is released under the LGPL, so if you're using some open source library it shouldn't really be much of a problem.

3) Some Ext components can be created from markup, however generally most of it is done via javascript. The examples are pretty good and the community is active (as you can see ;)), so you should be able to pick it up in no time (especially if you're an experienced developer).

Condor
20 Feb 2008, 5:35 AM
1) 'Build your own' can reduce the size significantly (however, after expanding my application I found that I ended up using almost every component except Ext.tree).
Another good advise it to enable gzip on your HTTP server (reduces both bandwidth usage and load time).

2) ExtJS is LGPL licenced (see details (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html#section4)). So I don't think this is going to be a problem for you.

oscarml
20 Feb 2008, 6:07 AM
Thx guys for the quick answer.

I've read about gzip and it could be a good thing. Moreover the thing I fear the most is that I'm quite beginner in JavaScript. I'm gonna make an almost phyloshopical question regarding to that:

I use to program in ASP .NET and now I'm starting in PHP. As I said, my boss saw ur website and wanted me to study it: how it works with big amount of data, if it's too heavy, database that allows, etc. He even asked me to documentate it in Spanish! Not redoing you docs, but writting a good habits and metodology for working with it, and here I'm totally lost:

I mean, in ASP .NET for example, I use to work in a 3 layers model: Data, bussines and presentation. I don

Condor
20 Feb 2008, 6:29 AM
1. Ext already separates model and view (the model is the Ext.data part and the view is Component based).
You can seperate the view and the controller by encapsulating components and exposing only specific methods and events. The controller can then use the container without knowing anything about the contained components.

2. Yes, you normally include all javascript files in you document (but you only create objects when needed). There are also simple load-javascript-on-demand scripts available (but not included in ExtJS yet).

ps. Ext can be a bit overwhelming at first. You definately will need to gain a basic knowledge of javascript to use ExtJS fully.

oscarml
21 Feb 2008, 3:14 AM
Related to the issue of studying javascript deeply, what about using GWT-ExtJS?
I've just discovered it, but it seems very interesting, althougn I've lot of doubts about it hehe:

1) As far as i've understood, you could program everything in java.
2) Is this is the case, does GWT wrap ExtJS in 100%? and, do u think is gonna follow this "wrapping" with succesives relesases of ExtJS?
3) Does it add lot of load to the solution "pure ExtJS"?

4) Last question could sound stupid, but I'm totally lost in this new thing: in javascript, the source files are loaded in the client browser. How this case works? Does the client load all the ext.js scripts? just the one they need based in the java code? Where the java is executed?
This "new" way of developing confuses me.

I'm not an expert developer as I did not receive an specific education for that, so, sorry if I post a quite stupid thing!

Condor
21 Feb 2008, 4:21 AM
1) As far as i've understood, you could program everything in java.

Yes (as long as you don't have special needs).

2) Is this is the case, does GWT wrap ExtJS in 100%? and, do u think is gonna follow this "wrapping" with succesives relesases of ExtJS?

GWT-ExtJS doesn't wrap ExtJS. It's a only bridge to ExtJS. The final HTML pages include both ExtJS and javascript code generated by GWT that uses ExtJS.

3) Does it add lot of load to the solution "pure ExtJS"?

It does add some extra load because the javascript files that are generated by GWT are bigger than files you would create yourself.

4) Last question could sound stupid, but I'm totally lost in this new thing: in javascript, the source files are loaded in the client browser. How this case works? Does the client load all the ext.js scripts? just the one they need based in the java code? Where the java is executed?

GWT contains a Java to Javascript compiler for client-side code and a Java API for server/client communication. See also my answer to question 2.

oscarml
21 Feb 2008, 5:20 AM
Yes (as long as you don't have special needs).

What do u mean? any situation example?

By the way, thx a lot for ur answers. So accurate.

evant
21 Feb 2008, 6:01 AM
The server is really only used to return data from the database. It will be very rare, no matter what server language you choose, that you'd run into problems.

Condor
21 Feb 2008, 6:04 AM
What do u mean? any situation example?

The GWT-ExtJS bridge isn't 100% complete (and I wonder if it could ever be). So, in some rare circumstances you might need to program some javascript for GWT to do stuff that can't be done with GWT-ExtJS.