PDA

View Full Version : Switchable ARIA / accessibility support?

jannic
22 Jan 2014, 8:06 AM
Is there an easy way to dynamically enable/disable ARIA support?

I'm interested in a way to switch it manually (i.e. the user of the application could have an option to switch it on and off), as well as automatic selection of the correct theme depending on the operating system settings.

Of course, I could provide a normal version and an accessible one under different URLs, and do a full reload if the user wants to switch, but I'd prefer to avoid that, if possible.

nohuhu
22 Jan 2014, 10:04 AM
jannic,

ARIA support in Ext JS is implemented as a separate add-on package, and you can either "cook it" in your application build, or include JavaScript and CSS files in the HTML boilerplate if you're not using Cmd build process. In either case, when you load the ARIA code it will override stock components to provide accessibility support, and there is no going back once it's loaded. So, no on/off switch.

Regards,
Alex.

muralisk477
22 Jan 2014, 11:07 PM
I am using extjs 4.2.1, and i have done with creating accessibility supported application using sencha build, (with reference of sencha guide(http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.2/#.../accessibility (http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.2/#!/guide/accessibility))) . In my Proto type i have used tree and grid and some form elements. but the JAWS Reader is not reading the child leaf and not treating the grid as table??

So Could you please help on this?

If you have any working accessibility sample prototype(small project), could you please share it?

Thanks in Advance!!

nohuhu
23 Jan 2014, 12:33 PM
muralisk477,

Unfortunately, Trees and TreeGrids are not supported by the ARIA package at this time. We plan to add support in future versions.

Regards,
Alex.

muralisk477
27 Jan 2014, 4:09 AM
Thanks for your update Alex. do we have a chance to add ARIA attributes in grid and trees manually ? RegardsMurali S

nohuhu
27 Jan 2014, 10:55 AM
You sure can do anything manually; study the ARIA package source and implement an override to the Tree or TreeGrid class to add the ARIA attributes. I can't tell how successful that would be though, you would have to test your code against all screen readers you target and decide if it's close enough.

Regards,
Alex.

muralisk477
27 Jan 2014, 10:14 PM
Ok.thanks for your Info Alex, can we expect more on accessibility in ExtJs5.x beta??RegardsMurali.

nohuhu
28 Jan 2014, 10:01 AM
Sure, we're working on the ARIA improvements all the time.

Regards,
Alex.