PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q - How do I correlate getting started with the examples

Valdhor
5 May 2014, 12:30 PM
Hi

I am a complete newbie with ext-js and coming in just as version 5 is released. There seems little point in starting with an earlier version so I am starting with 5. I downloaded and installed Sencha cmd and went through the getting started docs which have you starting with app/view/main/Main.js. Is this the best place to start?

I like the look of the example located at examples/layout/complex.html and would like that to be the basis of my initial project. This is an HTML document and Main.js is a javascript document.

How would I go about merging the two. The index.html file loads bootstrap.js which in turn (I believe) opens all of the other files necessary (Including Main.js). The example is a standalone HTML document with javascript embedded.

Don't get me wrong - I know how to program in javascript (Been doing that for 15 years +). It's just getting to know how all of the ext-js files fit together is what I'm not getting.

Any help, links, tutorials etc most appreciated.

Best Regards

Steve

evant
5 May 2014, 2:13 PM
Best spot is: http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/5.0.0/getting_started/getting_started.html

Valdhor
6 May 2014, 7:14 AM
That is where I started. I completed the Getting Started and now would like to move on to some of the examples.

The getting started had me modify the Main.js file whereas the examples are self contained HTML/Javascript files. How would I take an example file and marry it to the Main.js file I have at the end of the Getting Started Guide?

chocis
6 May 2014, 10:05 AM
I guess you should go through app architecture Guides:
http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/#!/guide/mvc_pt1

It is meant for 4.X version, but you will understand the main concepts of Controller, View, Store and Model on which ExtJs apps are mostly based. This doesn't include the new ExtJs5 extra ViewModel and ViewController feature ( I doubt anyone uses them in production yet), but it is a really good start.

After that you should understand how to experiment and include code from Examples

Valdhor
6 May 2014, 10:16 AM
Thank you. I shall peruse those.