PDA

View Full Version : Zoomable map for a virtual world, with items at specific coords and paths

ovidiubadita
28 May 2014, 3:32 AM
Hello,
I want to make a web app that eventually uses a map with items, creatures, resources cities, teleporters, points of interest, areas of interest that exist in a virtual world.
The map needs to be a lot like google map, but with custom data and underlying bitmap. I plan to use Ext to do the app, but I am not sure how I can implement this feature, at this point. Is there a class that can deal with such a thing? Any tips on how I could build one, if it does not exist?
An example of what I am talking about is at www.entropedia.info. I plan to rewrite that website and make it in a web/mobile app, also add more features for data manipulation and statistics.
There are already some implementations of what I am talking about, but they are not created in HTML5. I failed to find any relevant information on the subject so far.

Gary Schlosberg
28 May 2014, 4:33 AM
I don't think anything like that exists already. If you decide to build it, your best bet is to post specific questions targeting individual issues. Good luck!

cmeans
6 Jun 2014, 8:44 AM
The samples already include a panel that displays a Google map in a panel. That should give you a good place to start.

You'll mostly be dealing with the GoogleMaps API for storing and rendering paths, points/pushpins etc. and the control itself will allow for user navigation of the map (if you let it).

Gary Schlosberg
6 Jun 2014, 9:16 AM
Good point! Here's a link to that example:
http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.1/#!/example/window/gmap.html