PDA

View Full Version : free version of ExtJS 6 ?

debianw
14 Apr 2015, 11:54 AM
Hi,

Is there going to be a free version of ExtJS 6 ?, Like the free comercial version in Sencha Touch ? or is this the end of free versions ?

jennielynshapiro
14 Apr 2015, 6:03 PM
Not only will it not be free, but you will have to pay for at least a 5 developer license, $3000 or more, just to start developing with it. This is based on the fact that it is an upgrade to ExtJS 5 which has the same policy. If it was intended to be free they would have released the unified system as Sencha Touch 3.0 but thats not what's happening.

suzuki1100nz
15 Apr 2015, 12:07 AM
No not free.

Free trial for 30 days but not free -or gpl - https://www.sencha.com/store/extjs/

Still you can always try contacting the sales team if you have a query

ibnesayeed
15 Apr 2015, 3:55 AM
Free trial for 30 days but not free -or gpl
Do you mean, there won't be a GPL version of ExtJS 6?

debianw
15 Apr 2015, 7:38 AM
Do you mean, there won't be a GPL version of ExtJS 6?

Exactly!, is there going to be a GPL version ? can I download a trial version and start developing an application and publish that to Apple Store for example ??

And another question, what they mean by "Trial version" ?

dongryphon
15 Apr 2015, 9:38 AM
Rest easy. There will be a GPL version of Ext JS 6 released with the GA.

During the beta period we have a "beta" licence that we apply since the product is not deemed "GA" quality. A disclaimer basically. Which means we don't release a separate GPL version during beta since the license is the only difference anyway.

Hopefully that clears things up?

dongryphon
15 Apr 2015, 9:42 AM
The "trial" version is a derivative of the commercial version.

It is only free to be used for evaluation purposes. You should be fine making test builds and trying things out (possibly including app store tests) but to ship a released product you should get a non-trial version.

In other words: to release your application, you should use either the GPL version (see previous post) or the purchased commercial version.

MntKris
19 May 2015, 1:02 AM
Rest easy. There will be a GPL version of Ext JS 6 released with the GA.

Cool. Good to know.
What about planned licensing of sencha intellij plugin after beta period ?

aabluedragon
27 May 2015, 7:53 AM
Cool. Good to know.
What about planned licensing of sencha intellij plugin after beta period ?

Good question :-?, would like to know too.

siddhisoftech
13 Jun 2015, 6:48 AM
Hi,

can i use free version of ext 5 version ? Pls answer.

Regards
Kumar

siddhisoftech
13 Jun 2015, 6:52 AM
dear sir ,
i have two questions
1. ext js 5 version , we have free version to use it.?
2. can we get the responsive site in the free version ? what should i use to make the site responsive ?

your response is highly appreciated.
Thanks
Kumar

suzuki1100nz
13 Jun 2015, 1:23 PM
Hi,

An Open Source (GPLv3) license for Sencha Ext JS can be found here
http://www.sencha.com/legal/GPL/
(http://www.sencha.com/legal/GPL/)

Usual open source conditions apply - General restrictions as published by Sencha.

If you create software that uses GPL, you must license that software under GPL v3 (see GPL FAQ)

If you create software that uses GPL, you must release your source code (see GPL FAQ)

If you create software that uses GPL, you cannot release your work on Apple’s App Store.

As far as building a responsive site ExtJS has the tools to design and build a responsive site but obviously it doesn't do it for you.
Most responsive design is handled in CSS and is easy enough to do, coming up with a single design that works across all devices is tricky.
Have a look at this blog - http://www.sencha.com/blog/designing-responsive-applications-with-ext-js/

ExtJS 6.0 maybe a better option with the merged frameworks and largely common core is order to deliver a responsive website to all devices (Including Smart phone)

siddhisoftech
13 Jun 2015, 10:55 PM
how long does it Ext js 6 to be released as open source free version like ext js 5. now ext 6 is under beta version?

suzuki1100nz
13 Jun 2015, 10:59 PM
There is no official roadmap, but indications are the GA version will be released in July

siddhisoftech
13 Jun 2015, 11:03 PM
Thanks for your response. Is GA vesion is similar to opensource ?
finally i have once more question, does ext js open source version suppots responsive websites? what tools i need to use? and sencha touch is as available are open sourse free version ? Really Am thankful for your response.

suzuki1100nz
13 Jun 2015, 11:17 PM
GA is General availability release i.e. the first fully supported release and yes it will include a commercial and open source version.

Like I said previously Sencha frameworks provide the features to help you build a responsive website.
Have a look at that blog post.

If you want to achieve the single web app full responsive design nirvana that caters for all devices down to smart phones you will need to build it in Sencha Touch.
This is because ExtJS will not be performant on a smart phone.
Sencha touch has a less rich component set compared with ExtJS so may not be an option when delivering a RIA to desktop, that said Sencha have indicated they will enhance the Touch component set post the ExtJS 6.0 release.

See here for Universal app info with ExtJS 6.0 - https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/whats_new/6.0.0/whats_new.html

(https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/whats_new/6.0.0/whats_new.html)- https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/whats_new/6.0.0/developing_for_multiple_screens_and_environments.html

Really comes down to the complexity of your web app and the design.
We have a complex ERP so we used ExtJS to deliver a responsive app to desktop and tablet and used Touch for our smart phone app.
This worked well as our smartphone UI and UX design was significantly different to our desktop / tablet design.

jens13583
14 Jun 2015, 11:23 PM
So there will be no extjs 6 equivalent to the current "free commercial license" of sencha touch? I have to choose if I pay for 5 developer commercial license or release my application under GPL :-/

rzymek
15 Jun 2015, 1:35 AM
I have a premium license for ExtJS5. I can see ExtJS6 nightly build in support website. Can I use it or I have to buy seperate license for ExtJS6?

Gary Schlosberg
16 Jun 2015, 10:50 AM
I would direct specific licensing questions to our contact form:
https://www.sencha.com/company/contact/

jakepogo
2 Jul 2015, 8:51 AM
I think the problem is you people dont really understand GPL and Sencha is being VERY careful around the question because you are asking it wrong. You should really stop referring to GPL Licensed software as "Free", first a support contract may be needed for when you come across bugs that need to be addressed in a timely matter, and also you can not sell a commercial product that contains this framework as something necessary to run your product. Also, if you use the framework on your web app project that is NOT distributed commercially and someone asks you for your source code you HAVE TO release it to them (The javascript part anyhow...). Hopefully this helps you understand a bit better?

QQ245671051
8 Jul 2015, 7:27 PM
The "trial" version is a derivative of the commercial version.

It is only free to be used for evaluation purposes. You should be fine making test builds and trying things out (possibly including app store tests) but to ship a released product you should get a non-trial version.

In other words: to release your application, you should use either the GPL version (see previous post) or the purchased commercial version.

What if I open source my web app(GPL v3),but for commercial usage(charge for my back-end service from users)? it's free,right?

digvijayun
16 Jul 2015, 9:38 PM
Can I Use Extjs 6 with Sencha Architect 3.2.?

if no
than which SA version will be there for EXT 6.

Regards,
digvijayun

suzuki1100nz
16 Jul 2015, 11:37 PM
ExtJS 6.0 GA was released 2nd July Architect support comes a minor release after.
So not far away Im sure at a guess another 2-4 weeks

digvijayun
16 Jul 2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks suzuki1100nz (https://www.sencha.com/forum/member.php?263402-suzuki1100nz).

digvijayun
16 Jul 2015, 11:47 PM
Right now, I am working with Ext 4.1.1 framework and SA 3.0.

How easy will it be to port to Ext 6 and the latest version of SA and make my application compatible with it.?

Will it affect the application folder structure ?
The build process.?
The theme and styling.?
The functionality of existing components.?

Regards,
digvijayun

suzuki1100nz
17 Jul 2015, 12:55 PM
Right now, I am working with Ext 4.1.1 framework and SA 3.0.

How easy will it be to port to Ext 6 and the latest version of SA and make my application compatible with it.?

The build process.?
The theme and styling.?

Regards,
digvijayun

Hi from what I understand:

Yes if you're using cmd for building- see ExtJS 6.0 Guide - http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/whats_new/6.0.0/whats_new_cmd.html

The build process.? The theme and styling.?

Assuming you're using cmd see above and guide on Fashion http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/whats_new/6.0.0/fashion.html

Version upgrades usually have some effect on some existing components, Sencha has gotten better at minimizing the upgrade pain. However you are moving from 4.1.1 which is prior to the major theme framework change in 4.2 and obviously 5.0 introducing MVVM.
So I would plan for and expect some upgrade pain with your application moving to 6.0

Notepad123
10 Sep 2015, 10:37 PM
"If you create software that uses GPL, you cannot release your work on Apple’s App Store."Why not? Open source can be sold as any other product? So is this some Sencha restrictions or is this supposed to follow from open source nature of the license?

Oh, it is because GPL says: "Each time you redistributethe Program (or any work based on the Program), the recipient automaticallyreceives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify theProgram subject to these terms and conditions. You may not impose any furtherrestrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein."

while App Store inforces aditionl resctrictions like:"(i) You may download andsync a Product for personal, noncommercial use on any Apple-branded productsrunning iOS ("iOS Product") you own or control."

preventing those who bought GPL from App Store to resell it which is in contrast to GPL license.

BUT? -------------------------------------------------------

This is nonsense. I can use GPL software on any computer it is capable of running on. GPL was indented primarily to prevent someone making the source proprietary or restricted. It was never ever intended to restrict what sort of computer I could run the software on or in what sort of venue I could offer the running program up. People are straining at minor technicalities and missing the entire essence.

If GPL code is submited who will complain? Apple or Sencha? As far as I understand copyright holder, which in this case in Sencha, can make a complaint which should force Apple to remove tha App, like it was the case with VLC. Otherwise Apple couldn't care less. So the question is if Sencha plans to make formal complains on GPL Apps on App Store? License only gives you legal right to complain but it doesn’t force you to complain. In other words if you hold a license you can choose to complain or not.

But if App is free there is no restriction on how many devices it can be used.

But you can have two version of App: paid and free. Free app can be activated only with code you get with paid App. That way once you buy an App you can have it on as many devices as you want.

But nothing is prevent App Store buyer to "copy, distribute or modifythe Program". Buyer can request the source code, make the same application, submit it to App Store and start selling, Modified or not. In other words the app you bought can't be SIMPLY copied to another phone because of phone technical restrictions but it can copied to another phone by through a more coplicated proces of making your own app, therefore allowing you to freely distribute the App you bought on App Store.

Who is distributing/selling the app?
Am I selling the app through App Store?
Or is App Store selling the app?
If I put my app on some web server where you have to pay before downloading is the Server selling the App or me?
And if this server only has tehnical capabilities to install downloaded app on the device you downloaded it from you should not require from server to be able to install the app in your refrigirator.

So if App Store only allows you to install app on the device you accessed App Store from I don't see how is that breach of GPL.

huskerguy
2 Apr 2016, 7:18 AM
here is the link for the EXTJS 6 GPL https://www.sencha.com/legal/gpl/

you can develop with that. Then pay later.

fehrenhuber
16 Aug 2016, 12:37 AM
When do you plan to update GPL version from 6.01 to 6.02?

iamright
16 Aug 2016, 7:01 AM
here is the link for the EXTJS 6 GPL https://www.sencha.com/legal/gpl/

you can develop with that. Then pay later.

I don't believe you can just switch licenses like that. If you develop with GPL, then your app has to be released under GPL. Be cautious with what you advise. Are you a license lawyer giving legal advice here?

Whether or not someone will know your app is GPL or not is a risk. You may try to use GPL and hope no one notices but what if someone does and requests your source? You are legally obliged to hand it over or face possible legal action. Do you want to put your client at this risk? If so, you should stop programming immediately and get a job at your local gas station as you are screwing the rest of us developers that play by the rules.