PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ExtJS 3 to 4 Migration Package

houngj
20 Apr 2015, 7:23 AM
Can anyone direct me to the latest version of the ExtJS 3 to 4 Migration Package? I can't seem to locate the .zip anywhere.

scottmartin
20 Apr 2015, 10:37 AM
Try this link:
http://dev.sencha.com/ext-3-to-4-migration-pack.zip

houngj
20 Apr 2015, 10:44 AM
Thanks scott! But are you sure that this is the latest version? I was told the latest version was released October 20th, 2011. The latest modifications to these files are from April 26th, 2011. The reason why I ask is because demo application isn't rendering at all, even after the modifications mentioned in the video, with the migration package found at your link.

scottmartin
20 Apr 2015, 11:01 AM
I do not see any other at this time. I will have look around to see if something else is floating around.

danno57
20 Jan 2017, 2:01 PM
Yes, believe it or not I haven't upgraded from ExtJs 3 yet. The link posted earlier is no longer valid. Does the migration pack still exist? Should I even bother? I'm assuming I could use the migration pack to help me get from 3 to 4, and after that it would be relatively incremental changes needed to get to 6.2. Is that a valid assumption?

Thanks!

scottmartin
20 Jan 2017, 2:37 PM
Are you upgrading to Ext6 just to be compatible with the new browsers, or are you going to take advantage of Sencha Cmd and use MVVM pattern for your code? There is a big jump from 3->6 and I would not adding another hurdle such as trying to go to Ext4 along the way.

Myself would recommend doing it the right way creating a new app and developing your code using the new pattern. Please note that when users move from Ext3 to Ext4, the framework was heavier and found that code that was simply patched to make it load were a bit upset with the fact that it was a bit slower than when it ran as an Ext3 app. If you try that with Ext6 ... you can see where I am going here.

I know the thought of starting over can sound daunting at first, but try shoving old code into a new framework that is a lot different without feeling like you are spending most of your time fighting the changes vs developing.

I would consider the real reason you want to upgrade and decide if trying to drop your old ext3 code into ext6 is worth your efforts.
Take this time to take advantage of the changes.

Scott

danno57
20 Jan 2017, 3:23 PM
Thanks Scott,

Frankly, the only thing that has prompted me to look seriously at all, is that ExtJs 4+ has LocalStorageProvider and 3 only has CookieProvider, and we've seen cases where CookieProvider is creating cookies too large to be sent to the server (not sure why - it's extremely sporadic). Since these aren't cookies our application actually uses at all (they just preserve the UI state, right?), LocalStorageProvider would be a much more logical solution.

We primarily use only simple UI elements of the framework (Window, Panel, Button, etc), so I believe we are fully compatible with all of the latest browser versions (including Edge) even under Ext 3. That said, we have hundreds of these elements (over 1500 hits to a search for Ext.), and having to change all of them is a daunting task. We have no need to use Sencha Cmd or MVVM pattern in the short term.

If we do have to essentially rewrite from scratch, we would have to seriously consider moving away from ExtJs altogether...

Regards,
Dan

danno57
21 Jan 2017, 5:26 AM
So I just created my own local store provider and I'm good to go as far as the cookie problem is concerned.

But it would still be great if there is a way to migrate from v3 to v6 other than "start over"...