PDA

View Full Version : Transpiled Language Support?

brian428
30 Jun 2015, 7:14 PM
WebStorm and IDEA both work wonderfully with CoffeeScript and TypeScript, and understand their relationship to JavaScript. The IDE already offers support for JS libraries from within CS and TS files (code hinting, completion...basically anything it would do for JS files).

Unfortunately, it looks like the Sencha IDE plugin doesn't activate at all for files written in CS or TS. Am I missing something, or was this capability left out of the Sencha plugin (accidentally or intentionally)? And if this truly doesn't work, is there some reason why? As I understand it, the built-in IDE support works because the IDE parses the code into an abstract structure, regardless of whether the code is in JS, CS, or TS. Since the IDE can handle external JS libraries out of the box, it seems like supporting transpiled languages should be pretty easy to allow. Are there plans to support this use case?

Thanks,

Brian

brian428
30 Jun 2015, 7:38 PM
Edit: Actually, this doesn't seem to address my original question. As I mention below, after creating the JS lib for Ext JS, the plugin began working in .js files. But it still doesn't seem to do anything in .coffee or .ts files.

I was looking at this guide (https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.0/tools/jetbrains_ide_plugin.html), which says one should just be able to open an Ext JS project for the plugin to become active. This doesn't seem to be the case (at least for me).

However, this (different) guide (http://staging.sencha.com/tools/ide_plugins/jetbrains_ide_plugin.html) mentions needing to create a JS library within the IDE. Once I did that, the plugin seemed to begin working more like I expected it to.

Mark.Brocato
1 Jul 2015, 4:18 AM
The second guide you linked is the most recent version. (http://staging.sencha.com/tools/ide_plugins/jetbrains_ide_plugin.html)

The old guide was supposed to be removed but it looks like it hasn't been. This will be done shortly.

brian428
1 Jul 2015, 7:16 AM
Cool...but...can you comment on whether the plugin should currently work when developing in CS or TS? Or is it limited to only JS files? And if so, could the plugin be updated to support other languages?

Mark.Brocato
1 Jul 2015, 7:33 AM
Currently the plugin's functionality is limited to JavaScript files. TS, CS, and ES6 files are parsed in a similar way by the JetBrains APIs, but they are not exactly the same, so it would take some work to support these. I'll enter this in our backlog for prioritization.

brian428
10 Aug 2015, 6:31 AM
Mark, just curious if you were able to get this into the backlog and prioritize it? We have multiple large Ext JS apps written in CoffeeScript, and several in TypeScript, and the lack of support for CS and TS is a complete blocker for us. Thanks.

Currently the plugin's functionality is limited to JavaScript files. TS, CS, and ES6 files are parsed in a similar way by the JetBrains APIs, but they are not exactly the same, so it would take some work to support these. I'll enter this in our backlog for prioritization.