PDA

View Full Version : Newbie. Events displayer

yuikari
2 Apr 2008, 6:07 AM
Hello everybody. Newbie here :)
I've been checking out examples but there is something that i dont know if i can do.

I have a chatroom in my webpage. I would like that when UserXX opens a private chat to UserYY, then UserYY might get a popup window saying "UserXX wants to talk to you, log in to the chat".

I know the popup is easy to create, but i would like to know if there is any way to make it apear right after the UserXX opens the chat to the UserYY.
Somehow "Refreshing the page" so the second user gets the popup. Like an events displayer.
Is this possible to do with extjs?

Thanks very much for your help
Chelo

Condor
2 Apr 2008, 6:10 AM
It's not possible to send a message to a browser. The only thing a browser can do is regulary request pending messages from the server (polling).

And, yes, you can do this with Ext.TaskMgr and Ext.Ajax.request.

yuikari
2 Apr 2008, 6:12 AM
Brilliant, I will investigate more then.:-?;)
Thank you very much
Chelo

2 Apr 2008, 6:39 AM
I believe flash can do this. 3.0 is supposed to allow neat stuff like this with the use of a nifty flash obj.

yuikari
3 Apr 2008, 4:14 AM
:s
Hello, Sorry lads but i dont know where to start from.
There is so much documentation I'm a bit confused.
My webpage is developed using php. (joomla)
Thank you
Chelo

3 Apr 2008, 6:09 AM
The only way to achieve this is to have your browser constantly checking for updates via Ext.Ajax.Request and the task manager

devnull
3 Apr 2008, 8:12 AM
There are a few ways of pushing data out from a server, commonly called "Comet" if you want to do some research. Nothing exists in Ext to do this, largely because it is very non-standard. You would probably do better to stick to using a polling method as described above, but I thought I would give some additional information.