PDA

View Full Version : [OPEN] Latest Architect keeps "crashing"

marc.fearby
18 Sep 2016, 5:27 PM
When I say "crashing" I mean the entire window just goes grey and I can't see a thing. It's possible that it's not actually crashed, but if I can't see anything, it's as good as crashed as far as I'm concerned. I've had to kill the task several times today. I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit.

My java version:

C:\>java -version
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx1024M
java version "1.8.0_77"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_77-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.77-b03, mixed mode)

The -Xmx1024M was added some time ago because it kept running out of memory. Perhaps I should give it more now?

Here's my version

Sencha Architect

version:

channel:
4.0-stable

platform:
1.2.3.16 - win32 x64

cmd:

framework:
Ext JS 6.0.x Classic

petr.vecera
19 Sep 2016, 6:30 AM
Hello

Could you please confirm if this crash happens when you:
# Start SA
# Open your project 1#
# Work on you project 1#
# Crash

Or:
# Start SA
# Open project
# Switch between projects
# Some work
# Crash

The Java version doesn't affect the SA itself, just Cmd so there is no need to change your Java settings in any way.

Thank you for your inputs
Petr

marc.fearby
19 Sep 2016, 7:26 PM
I will keep an eye on it and get back to you. So far I've only opened one project today and I'll try and keep it like that.

marc.fearby
20 Sep 2016, 5:11 PM
Using the same project (a new one I created recently which isn't huge) seemed to behave well, but I've just opened another large project (which I opened in 4.0.0 yesterday and let it upgrade Cmd, etc) using the same Architect and it appears to have crashed; just a blank grey area in the Architect window.

petr.vecera
21 Sep 2016, 1:46 AM
Thank you for your inputs.

Blank grey area == rendering process crash

This is top priority and we are working on the fix.
Please report if you are at the point where your project is crashing in the clean instance of SA. So far I can only recommend to restart SA between switching projects :-|.

marc.fearby
21 Sep 2016, 2:15 PM
Thanks. I'll close/reopen Architect if I need to switch projects for the time being.

marc.fearby
29 Sep 2016, 7:23 PM
Thank you for your inputs.

Blank grey area == rendering process crash

This is top priority and we are working on the fix.
Please report if you are at the point where your project is crashing in the clean instance of SA. So far I can only recommend to restart SA between switching projects :-|.

I have just encountered a "grey screen of death" from a clean instance of SA, but I've been working on a fairly large project. I've opened a few projects today but I've been conscious about closing and starting fresh instances each time. This is the first time the error has occurred from a clean start. It still seems a rare occurrence.

petr.felzmann
2 Oct 2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks for report, Marc! We could add crash reporter (http://electron.atom.io/docs/api/crash-reporter/) into the future version to help us localize the problem.

marc.fearby
10 Oct 2016, 7:11 PM
I was upgrading a project that's fairly small (compared to some of my other behemoths) from Ext JS 6.0.2 to 6.2.0 and encountered the grey screen. I killed the architect process and saw these two Java process in the background. I normally check to kill them off as well, but thought I'd post back details about them this time.

They will hang around as long as I let them.

mazhar.shaikh
17 Oct 2016, 2:36 PM
I may not be very helpful here, however I have not had any problems nor has SA crashed on me anytime in between upgrading my projects. I have upgraded atleast 6 projects from ExtJs 5 and SA 3.5, 1 project from Extjs 4.1 to latest version of SA and EXTJS.

I have had instances where design mode would not load, but that is related to some crappy config setting. In all cases there is error log written out on the log window at the bottom of SA.

petr.vecera
17 Oct 2016, 3:00 PM
I was upgrading a project that's fairly small (compared to some of my other behemoths) from Ext JS 6.0.2 to 6.2.0 and encountered the grey screen. I killed the architect process and saw these two Java process in the background. I normally check to kill them off as well, but thought I'd post back details about them this time.

They will hang around as long as I let them.

Thanks for the info. The java.exe process is from Sencha Cmd process which can become detached after SA crash and is not correctly terminated when SA process is. We have this bug logged.

You can enable display of command line of the process in the task manager - so you can be sure that you are killing the sencha java.exe

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I may not be very helpful here, however I have not had any problems nor has SA crashed on me anytime in between upgrading my projects. I have upgraded atleast 6 projects from ExtJs 5 and SA 3.5, 1 project from Extjs 4.1 to latest version of SA and EXTJS.

I have had instances where design mode would not load, but that is related to some crappy config setting. In all cases there is error log written out on the log window at the bottom of SA.

Thank you. Really appreciate the feedback :)

petr.vecera
10 Nov 2016, 8:30 PM
Hello everyone

We did some performance improvements in 4.1 EA, so the SA should consume less memory and load faster when you switch between projects. This could also help mitigate the crashes when switching the projects.

Also from version 4.1 EA+ we have integrated crash logger for the native code crash. So if the SA crashes on you, we would really appreciate if you could share your crash dump with us. They are located at:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Temp\Sencha Architect Crashes

Thank you
Petr

Alessio Brunello
14 Nov 2016, 2:31 AM
Similar problem for me reported here https://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?331505-Crash-compiling-theme-scss/