PDA

View Full Version : Fiddle in Open source

Psychokrameur
25 Nov 2016, 3:34 AM
Hello,

Does Sencha Fiddle is open source? If not, could you consider make it open source?
Or at least the component you use?

The global application, especially in Fiddle 2 seems very fast, well structured and so one.
It could be a very good example as starter app.

In addition, sharing of components like AceEditor integration with all the config you put in it will be greatly appreciate :)

Thanks in advance,

mitchellsimoens
25 Nov 2016, 3:54 AM
First, thank you for your comments on perceived speed, I always try to think about the best way in order to do things.

About open sourcing it. First, it's not my decision, it'd be up to the execs but as the developer responsible there is many different aspects of fiddle that would have to be thought of like the server side code, that would need to be open sourced also and that has many different modules that may or may not want to see the light of day. So I'm not saying no, but I'm not saying yes :)

Psychokrameur
25 Nov 2016, 4:53 AM
Thanks for your prompt answer Mitchell.

Ok :). I understand.

If we are not talking about open sourcing it (especially because the licensing might add too much constraints), it could be interesting to share some piece with the community.

Having the app as a template like the admin-dashboard.
Having some components shared un the "ux" package for exemple.

I know you've push that approach before, especially before being part of Sencha.

Thanks in advance for considering that :)

mitchellsimoens
25 Nov 2016, 5:08 AM
Sure, I was also thinking of some individual parts could be opened. We as a company also need to settle on some shared things, my ace component is different than the ace component in Sencha Test. Like you hinted, having it in the ux package or a new package that is included would be beneficial to our projects and of course our community. When we are back from our holiday (next week) I'll try to strike up a conversation with Fon and couple our shareholders on that front.

The node.js stuff would be great to open source but it will likely get rewritten. Some future Ext JS stuff we Demi's at SenchaCon can easily be utilized in a nodejs environment. So lot up in the air on that front currently too :)

Psychokrameur
9 Jan 2017, 12:26 AM
Hello Mitchell,

Hope your holiday were good :).
Any advancement on this?

Thanks in advance

mitchellsimoens
9 Jan 2017, 5:49 AM
This short version: not really. Sorry :)

Fiddle 2 utilizes a lot of new node.js stuff, however, the actual saving and loading the fiddle is done on a separate API server which is not utilizing any new node.js stuff so there is still quite a bit of work to be done there before it's release ready. That along with some announcements we made at SenchaCon may mean quite a bit of other work. What I mean by this is we have an "extjs/kernel" project started that is built using ES6+ stuff. Since I cannot way for this to be built (it's also currently only aimed to run in the browser where webpack/babel are required) I have my own ES6 library I have built/extended so that piece still needs figuring out.

So that's the server side bit of it, what about the client? I've had quite a few positive comments on the speed of the app (minus the initial load time but we all know Ext JS on that part :) ). This also needs some figuring out as right now it's using Ext JS 6.2.1 which is not a GPL release so I could only release the Fiddle code and not the Ext JS release which is very messy.

For the shared components thing, holiday season is always hard to hook up with people with vacations and such so no conversation has been made here.

Psychokrameur
9 Jan 2017, 6:45 AM
Ok. Thanks for your answer anyway.