PDA

View Full Version : Converting Our Site from V1.1 to v2.

Brendan
29 Jun 2008, 5:50 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone may be able to look at the complexity of converting the site http://racing.betfair.com.au to v2 code. The Code was written by a 3rd party outside of our company, and I've been maintaining the code since then.

I am not very fammillar with ExtJS, only enough to tinker and make small changes.

How complex is this process going to be to convert the site from v1 to v2? how long should it take? and are there any useful benifits?

evant
29 Jun 2008, 5:56 PM
1) I don't think it will take too long, it really depends on your familiarity.

2) Ext 2 does have a lot of benefits, however are you just upgrading for the sake of doing so? If this is the case, I'd hold out til Ext 3.0.

29 Jun 2008, 6:00 PM
To add to evan's comments:
I think the length depends on any custom work ,etc. It took me 8.5 hours to convert one ext 1.1 app to 2.0.

A knee jerk reaction - It looks like it could be a 2 - 3 week effort. This is factoring in reverse engineering of your site, etc.

Then again, i didn't look at code.

Brendan
29 Jun 2008, 6:03 PM
Well this, I guess is the million dollar question, the site could use some tuning, thats for sure, but I'm so unfammillar with v2, I don't know if there are any advantages to using it. Cookies and Saving settings is the next thing we had planned for the site.

If your saying to wait until V3, then maybe thats the best option. However if the cost of someone doing the conversion to v2 is not to bad, then that may also be an option, because I think your right in your reasoning in that it may not be all that complex. (for someone who knows what there doing)

The data comes from scripts, producing json, and most pages are imbedded html, so I guess it's not "that" complex.

-B

29 Jun 2008, 6:05 PM
There are advantages:
- component model is better, faster
- grids are much faster

But... your site is production. I'd say wait to 3.0