PDA

View Full Version : Licensing Question

1 Apr 2007, 5:57 PM
>>Plan to use Ext in a personal, educational or non-profit manner

We're using ext-js (AKA YUI-ext) on our site bebekisses.com. My question: are we violating your license now? We're not profiting from the use of yui-ext (ie selling services using the software), but we are a store none the less.

If we are in violation, please let me know. I'll work on a solution for us to rip it off of the site.

Thanks.
-Jay

jack.slocum
1 Apr 2007, 6:52 PM
Yes, you are free to use it under the terms of the LGPL.

1 Apr 2007, 7:04 PM
That's great to know. I literally was losing sleep over this. :-\

Thanks jack.

garyng
1 Apr 2007, 7:16 PM
I am still a bit confused about the licening term.

If I use Ext in an ad-funded site(or even fee membership based one) , is it in violation of the modified LGPL ?

The modified term talks about distribution, not about usage. Though I know js is by itself special in the sense that it can be considered as "distributed" every time the page is loaded.

Or is the term mainly designed to handle the situation of "repackaging" Ext as another product that would be in competition with Ext ?

I want to support the development of Ext in monetary term(especially if I am also benefited monetarily from it) but need to have a clearer picture.

[email protected]moduscreate.com
1 Apr 2007, 7:22 PM
I felt the same way, thus the original post. I'm bad at legal-ese. :-\

copongcopong
1 Apr 2007, 7:57 PM
I think this link will help for information with LGPL that comes with Ext:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/

garyng
1 Apr 2007, 8:16 PM
I think this link will help for information with LGPL that comes with Ext:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/

I have just seen that Ext is now using LGPL with no overriding terms.

kjordan
1 Apr 2007, 8:18 PM
I am still a bit confused about the licening term.

If I use Ext in an ad-funded site(or even fee membership based one) , is it in violation of the modified LGPL ?

The modified term talks about distribution, not about usage. Though I know js is by itself special in the sense that it can be considered as "distributed" every time the page is loaded.

Or is the term mainly designed to handle the situation of "repackaging" Ext as another product that would be in competition with Ext ?

I want to support the development of Ext in monetary term(especially if I am also benefited monetarily from it) but need to have a clearer picture.

I think distribution in this sense is for repackaging. You need only worry about them if you're selling or distributing an app with ext inside it (i.e. the source and stuff is in there and not just a link to get it and the end user puts it in themselves).

jack.slocum
1 Apr 2007, 8:21 PM
I have just seen that Ext is now using LGPL with no overriding terms.

Yes, that is correct. We respect and appreciate the input provided by the Ext community. Thanks to everyone for helping to steer us in the right direction. =D>

haibijon
2 Apr 2007, 2:44 PM
Hats off to you jack!