PDA

View Full Version : Best method to implement Live Chat with ExtJs?

gpstatnon
11 Sep 2008, 9:26 AM
Hi Im considering writing a live chat app using ExtJs and have been looking around the forums for ideas on the best way to implement the server communication.

I'd like the app to be pretty responsive but that would mean lots of XHR requests(every 1 sec).

The backend is a LAMP with Fedora 9.

Id appreciate any suggestions with the AJAX side of things, ideally Id be able to keep a port open and just listen on the port for updates.

Thanks

PS I forgot to mention Id rather not use a JAVA applet(Thanks Dev for reminding me I hadnt said that)

devnull
11 Sep 2008, 9:37 AM
You might check out the IRC app that someone has been working on in the examples and extras forum. It sounds like they are using a java applet for communication.

gpstatnon
11 Sep 2008, 9:40 AM
Thanks Dev

Yeh I seen that one, although Id rather not use an applet as I think that would put people off visiting the site. I think most users wouldnt allow it to run and its not the best thing when IE or FF pops up and tells you the site you've just landed on wants to run an applet :(

devnull
11 Sep 2008, 9:56 AM
There are also various "comet" or reverse-ajax implementations that may be of interest, although they can be considered a hack as there is no real support in the web browsers currently.

Urkman
10 Aug 2009, 10:10 AM
Hello,

I pick up this thread.

I'm also planing a chat application( It will be a moderated chat ), so I take a look at some of the JavaScript Libraries to chosse the best fit for a live chat.
I will not use an applet, I only want to use simple scripts.

So is here someone who allready make a chat using extJs and can give me some tipps on this?

Thanks for your help,
Urkman