PDA

View Full Version : Opera Sans Javascript No Workie

cklester
16 Apr 2007, 12:15 PM
I wanted to view the BorderLayout example in a browser (Opera in this instance) with Javascript turned off. It does absolutely nothing. Shouldn't the ExtJS website be using 'progressive enhancement?' I think so. Not all our clients will be able to use Javascript, but when they do, WHAMMO! Awesomeness. Otherwise, usefulness. :)

heidtmare
16 Apr 2007, 12:18 PM
fluid degrading is the job of the project developer. only he will know what the target audience is and how things should degrade.

brian.moeskau
16 Apr 2007, 12:20 PM
Ext is a JavaScript framework. It is up to the developer to offer progressive enhancement of her site, which would be either showing the Ext version vs. showing a static layout of their own choosing based on browser capabilities. You don't get the nice, cross-browser layout of Ext without JavaScript doing a bunch of work for you.

tryanDLS
16 Apr 2007, 12:24 PM
ExtJS is a Javascript framework. It's up to you to decide how/why you'd implement a non-Javascript version of your application.

cklester
17 Apr 2007, 8:23 AM
Just looking for a statistic: Is it the consensus these days to Javascriptify a web site and foresake those who won't or can't enable Javascript in the browser? I'm torn between making it a requirement or using progressive enhancement. I'd love to just make it a requirement, but then I wonder how many people will be shut out from using it. Do a lot of corporate environments disable JS in their employees' browers?

tryanDLS
17 Apr 2007, 8:50 AM
I'm sure if you googled you could find somebody throwing those stats around. Stats however aren't really relevant here. The question is: is the requirement to build a rich UI web application requiring javascript or a simple web page accessible to the masses that may do some JS to make things pretty, but needs to degrade gracefully.

As far as corporate environments, I would doubt that most disable JS. Any organization of size that's going to build a intranet platform is going to want to make it as rich and user friendly as possible to ensure that it helps their employees be as productive as possible. Building JS and no-JS versions of the app would seem counterproductive.

cklester
17 Apr 2007, 9:56 AM
As far as corporate environments, I would doubt that most disable JS. Any organization of size that's going to build a intranet platform is going to want to make it as rich and user friendly as possible to ensure that it helps their employees be as productive as possible.

I have thousands of clients around the nation, some of which are very large companies. Many of these large companies are very security conscious (and a few of those are very very security conscious). Some of them disable javascript in employee's browsers (among other things).

I don't think most corporations are willing to sacrifice security (yet) for productivity... but, again, that's why I asked. I've got the pulse of my clients, but what about the rest of corporate America?

Thanks for the feedback. It does help me focus in on what's really required...