PDA

View Full Version : printing a grid

HarryC
17 Apr 2007, 2:30 AM
I've had a look through the forums, but can't see many posts about printing. If I'm using the grid in a reporting application then I need the ability to print out the data. If there are multiple pages then it'd need the option to print just the current page, or all pages. I wondered if there was already something in built to do this or whether it's something that I'd need to write?

PS. I've not posted for a while and just wanted to say congrats to Jack on the release (and your birthday). Both the website and Ext1.0 are quite stunning, I'd never have thought 6 months ago that Ext would become so massive. I know it's not the point, but I hope you become a very rich man from it!

Animal
17 Apr 2007, 2:41 AM
This has been asked many times.

Ext is a browser framework, and printing from a browser is still flaky, so it's not going to be good. (And also, you only have access to the current page)

You need to process the data on the server to produce output. You can produce the output in HTML, Excel, or PDF, and have the link opening in a new window.

HarryC
17 Apr 2007, 2:51 AM
Yes I did some further searching and found a reply by you saying as much in another post. Was looking for a "delete post" option but you replied before I found one...

You are correct, but at the same time as you say this is something that is a common request so there should probably be an example of this in the demos just to show off the potential of Ext.

BernardChhun
17 Apr 2007, 3:42 AM
Providing a way of printing the grid isn't an Ext feature. As Animal said, it should be done server side.

HarryC
17 Apr 2007, 3:46 AM
Yes I agree. That doesn't mean an example of doing it wouldn't be beneficial to promoting Ext. Nothing official, just something in the showcase section.