PDA

View Full Version : OK, Where do I start?

cluettr
22 Apr 2007, 7:39 AM
Hi All,

Before asking silly questions I was wondering if someone could maybe point me in the right direction. I know php very well... I'd say I am an intermediate to advanced php programmer. I know very little javascript and very little OOP. I do understand and have worked with prototype.js and scriptaculous.js. I'm wondering where I should start so I can begin to wrap my head around extjs without wasting time. Should I start by learning javascript? Should I jump right in? Do I need to understand OOP? Any advice would be great and thank you!

- Rob Cluett

tryanDLS
22 Apr 2007, 10:29 AM
Should I start by learning javascript?
Umm... I would think you would find it very difficult to code using an advanced JS framework, without knowing JS :) While we make every effort to assist newcomers, this is not a Javascript 101 forum.

Should I jump right in?There are numerous examples in the download and also a tutorials here (http://extjs.com/tutorials/beginner) The 'Javascript newbies thread at the top of this forum has links to a number of resources you may find helpful.

Do I need to understand OOP?I would be helpful if you understood basic OO concepts, for example objects, inheritance, scope.