PDA

View Full Version : TextArea not working properly in Lotus Designer

Tamara Williams
25 Apr 2007, 10:53 AM
Hello:

I am using Lotus Domino Designer. I wanted to create a text area so I looked at the Form and ComboBox folder at the Dynamic Forms example in the EXT Documentation Center. I placed a textfield from the Designer on the form and then surrounded it with appropriate div code. This is my code:

"[<div class=\"x-form-item\"> <label style=\"width: 65px;\" for=\"PhotoDes\">Photo Description:</label><div class=\"x-form-element\"> "

var photo = new Ext.form.TextArea( {
allowBlank: true,
value: 'The Photo above describes',
grow: true,
preventScrollbars: true

});
photo.applyTo('PhotoDes');"

"</div></div>]"

The id 'PhotoDes' is used for the div on the form, the div codes are placed in a computed textfield so that code is OK. The EXT code is in the javascript header of the form.

The problem is that the textarea grows but the text remains in one line. The text entered stays in one line and disappears once it exceeds the length of the field. I have to use the arrow keys to view the rest of the text. How do I get it to carry over to the next lines. I even tried setting wrap:true but nothing changed. Please help me.

Regards,
T Williams

Tamara Williams
27 Apr 2007, 6:42 AM
Hello:

I have been checking the code and I am still not sure what is wrong. Please help me.

T. Williams

tryanDLS
27 Apr 2007, 8:55 AM
Did you look at the rendered HTML in firebug? I don't see a textarea element in you code. The following works, but if you use an input tag instead of a textarea, it will not wrap.

var test2 = new Ext.form.TextArea({
allowBlank:true, value:'some value', grow:true, preventScrollbars:true
});
test2.applyTo('test2');

<div>
<textarea id='test2a' /> <- this seems to generate some weird nesting (in FF) if you have multiple fields
<textarea id='test2'></testarea>
</div>

jratcliff
28 Apr 2007, 4:02 PM
Tamara,

How do you have your field in Designer defined? You should have the option "Allow multiple values" checked and I believe you also need to have the multi-value options set to use a "New Line" as the separator to "separate and display". Take a look at the pic I've attached to see what I'm referring to.

Hope this helps,
Jack

Tamara Williams
30 Apr 2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks for your help tryanDLS and jratcliff! :)

Hi tryanDLS:
I did not use an input tag or HTML to create the field. In Lotus Designer I just select the button 'create field' and it creates one (like a pre created text field) on the form that looks just like a text field. jratcliff suggestion was what I was missing. :)

Hi jratcliff :
I had not set the field properties option "Allow multiple values" or multi-value options set to use a "New Line" as the separator. I thought :-? that just the code I wrote in the javascript header for the new Ext.form.TextArea would work. Thanks for your help and understanding for my simple mistake. :"> I adjusted the field properties and it works great now. :) It means that next time I need to set all the field properties first before I start to apply any EXT code to it. :"> :D

Regards,
T W

RWaters
1 May 2007, 12:28 PM
Hmm, I tend to stray away from setting "Allow multiple values"/"New Line" way to make domino generate a textarea. I've just run into issues where the field was not expected to be a text-list. You could also just leave it as a normal text field and hide it from the web, then use pass through html to create a textarea with the same name. Then add a computed value of the field between the <textarea></textarea> tags.

If the multiple values work for you it's certainly a much cleaner solution. ;)

Tamara Williams
2 May 2007, 5:37 AM
Hello RWaters:

Thanks for the information! I will try the code you wrote but for now I will stick to "Allow multiple values"/"New Line" to create text areas in Domino since it has worked well for me so far. :) Well, I learnt something new and knowledge is always good. :D