PDA

View Full Version : Issues with fly-out panels...

DigitalSkyline
30 Apr 2007, 3:55 PM
I'm experiencing issues with the collapsed fly-out panels -

In both IE & FF
1. all menus & popups appear below fly-out panels. I assume this is a z-index problem but I'm not sure how to resolve.

2. I have a south collaspable panel that contains an editable iframe... show/hide the panel w/default flyout animation shows the content while its in sequence, until it's opened, then the content disapears. <see attachment>

2b. In FF2 , the iframe seems to be re-loading every time the panel is collapsed/opened

dfenwick
30 Apr 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm experiencing issues with the collapsed fly-out panels -

In both IE & FF
1. all menus & popups appear below fly-out panels. I assume this is a z-index problem but I'm not sure how to resolve.

2. I have a south collaspable panel that contains an editable iframe... show/hide the panel w/default flyout animation shows the content while its in sequence, until it's opened, then the content disapears. <see attachment>

2b. In FF2 , the iframe seems to be re-loading every time the panel is collapsed/opened

1) is indeed a z-index problem. It shouldn't be occurring, but I think there are posts here somewhere about that. I thought this problem had been resolved.

2) I bet this is only happening in IE. If so, hook the 'slideshow' event for that region, and add this code in that event handler (assuming region is the argument name in your handler):

if(Ext.isIE)
region.repaint();

There are a lot of peekaboo bugs with IE that cause these types of things.

2b) That reload you're seeing in Firebug is a synthetic event. When you stick an iframe in a region that slides in/out, during the animation code it has to wrap the element in another div in order to provide the onscreen animation. When that happens, it calls appendChild() on the dom element, which moves the iframe in the dom. When this occurs, the iframe is removed from the dom and then added back into the dom. Firefox appears to handle this by sending a synthetic event to the element to reload it. There's an outstanding bug in bugzilla about this behavior that's almost 3 years old and has never been fixed.

The best recommendation, though, is to not put iframes in your collapsible regions, and if you can avoid iframes in general, do so. They're a performance nightmare. While they provide nifty style isolation, allow you to load remote scripts, and allow you to destroy an entire portion of the layout on a whim, they also will greatly reduce the peformance of your app.

DigitalSkyline
2 May 2007, 8:15 AM
Thanks,
I may have to just drop the rich edit feature from the Firefox version (which is a drag, I know). Do you happen to know if there is a way to prevent the fly-out mechanism? I'd like to keep the collapsable region but only allow it to be either opened or closed, and not allow the panel to open in its rollout overlay mode (not sure what to call this - haha, but I sure you get what I'm saying).