PDA

View Full Version : Best practices handling charts

blaubarschbube
1 May 2007, 3:26 PM
Hi,

I want to display charts in a ContentPanel. Is there a common practices in doing so?

My first idea was to let the server render raster data (jpeg, png or so) and use an UpdateManager to fetch the images in a certain fixed sizes when the panels size changes. But depend on the quality and size of the pictures the transfer could lead to a slow response. Also on the server I probably need to have some caching strategy since the DB lookups for a single chart may take a while and should not be repetitive.
So basically speaking I am not really happy with the approach using images. But I am also not experienced with vector-formats and JS.
I am interested in your approaches and ideas handling pictographic data in webapplications. Especially when using ExtJS.

Cheers,

Nils

jsakalos
1 May 2007, 3:47 PM
I don't have any practical experiences with this but I would do it as you describe but I would buffer the resize events for some time to prevent the server overload.

Look at the Ext.util.Observable addListener method documentation.

Hope this helps.

soad
1 May 2007, 7:00 PM
You might consider using some javascript charting library. Just google for "javascript charts". I found this one (http://www.liquidx.net/plotkit/).

kpandey
10 May 2007, 12:25 PM
I did some prototype work on rendering pie, bar chart using Tibco GI on EXT panels. Worked pretty well but then you have to live with the charting limitation of TicoGI. Also the added one time load of Tibco GI js.