PDA

View Full Version : Sideway Charts?

Sesshomurai
23 Apr 2009, 6:45 PM
Hi,
I saw the chart examples and looked at the API a bit but didn't see a way to change the orientation of the chart.

For example, I want the barchart baseline to be on the left and the bars flowing left to right instead of bottom-to-top.

Is this possible?

thanks

PS. Sorry if it said so in the docs and I missed that.

KellanStec
24 Apr 2009, 10:33 AM
I would be interested in this as well.

What I am looking for is a horizontal stacked bar chart. I plan on using something similar to this as a visual way of seeing a daily schedule.

I am guessing an extension and a significant amount of hacking would be necessary for this to work the way I want it. Any thoughts?

Joe
24 Apr 2009, 11:19 AM
I use this and love it ...

http://www.maani.us/xml_charts/

It is very usable out of the box for free and if you really want to go nuts with interactive charts - pay the $50.

Hope it helps.

Sesshomurai
24 Apr 2009, 12:44 PM
Do those charts work well with EXT js?

Joe
24 Apr 2009, 1:57 PM
This works great with Ext JS .. as well as any Flash component. Just like any of the flash charts, etc you will hit reflow / refresh issues. Some can be solved with simple settings (i.e. single tabbed setup), but I have had more complex layouts give me fits - again this is ANY flash component - not this chart tool.

This has nothing to do with the Charts and everything to do with FireFox reflow bugs causing these issues in Ext JS. The ManagedIFrame may solve those issues for you and they may not be an issue in Ext 3.0 as they do use Flash charts.

All that said - I love the chart tool and am sure the Flash reflow/refresh issues will be worked out. I have updated the chart directly via JavaScript and via calls to have it do it's own backend call for the xml data. It needs XML in all cases.

Important - when feeding it XML via JavaScript - have NO SPACES outside the <> tags or it will fail.

I have gotten this to work by pulling the data on a grid refresh. Just get the data - make some XML and send it to the chart - poof!

I have not tried the other charting systems, so it hard for me to say how it compares.

Those are my tips and info for now - happy charting :)