PDA

View Full Version : The new Documentation Center - Check it out!

jack.slocum
16 Nov 2006, 6:50 AM
It's still in development, but I decided to go ahead and open it up because the updated docs are sorely needed.

http://www.yui-ext.com/docs/

I will be making a blog post about it when I get it done. It's getting close!

The latest source code is also available online too.

http://code.google.com/p/yui-ext

Jack

Animal
16 Nov 2006, 7:11 AM
Awesome! YUI should use that!

jbowman
16 Nov 2006, 7:27 AM
hey jack, any chance of the source files still being present in the documentation center? I often look at those as well as the documentation to get a better understanding of things.

tryanDLS
16 Nov 2006, 8:04 AM
That rocks!! Puts the YUI doc to shame :)

genius551v
16 Nov 2006, 8:10 AM
Great jack, como todo lo que haces :!:

:wink:

ojintoad
16 Nov 2006, 8:51 AM
Sweet, no more drudging through code.

jack.slocum
16 Nov 2006, 9:12 AM
Joe, every class has a link to the file it was defined in in the header part. Nice syntax highlighting too.

jack.slocum
16 Nov 2006, 9:20 AM
Thanks guys. There's still a few more things to do (like an index of all functions, properties and events) and I need to generate an index that can be used outside of the docs center. I think it's functional enough to be useful so it's up. :)

By the way, jackslocum.com may be down for a day or two while the transfer takes place. I am trying to make it as seamless as possible. yui-ext.com/org (and soon yuiext) will be available though.

Next up is moving and organizing all the example code that is spread all over my blog. That should be fun. :wink:

jbowman
16 Nov 2006, 11:25 AM
doh.. sorry didn't see that. I'm coming down with something and my brain has been "fuzzy" all day.

jamaljohnson
16 Nov 2006, 11:47 AM
wow, that's just sick

mdissel
16 Nov 2006, 1:21 PM
Very nice! Is there a way to download the complete documentation? or maybe include this in svn as well..

Thanks
Marco

Herm
16 Nov 2006, 1:33 PM
Intuitive - it _so_ fits a coder's expectation of what the docs should be!

Re the implementation, I am faced with a similar scenario (treenav->show doco) and feel I don't know enough yet to make what seem to be fundamental decisions. I would appreciate your thoughts and experience:

How did you choose an IFrame over XHR in the 'main' ContentPanel? Was it due to the flexibility of now having a place to surface whole independent demos etc in that iframe? In general, what are the choices (if there are any more, frames aside) and the pros and cons of each approach? What about linking/bookmarking?

jack.slocum
16 Nov 2006, 7:56 PM
Herm, the main reasons I used to iframe were because I wanted the documentation itself to be static HTML files that didn't require the border layout "shell" to work. Then printing is easy and I can also put the docs right in the download like before.

Using an iframe also lets the back button continue to work. :)

MarcC
16 Nov 2006, 10:47 PM
Very nice work, Jack.

One thing I think might be useful is a "implemented in version" flag for each class/function... while I'm sure most of us upgrade to the newest version immediately, it definitely comes in handy for people that are slower to upgrade versions... and with yui-ext's breakneck development pace, new things are showing up almost daily!!

jack.slocum
16 Nov 2006, 10:56 PM
That's good idea. I will add support for that.

jack.slocum
16 Nov 2006, 10:58 PM
I just went through and added support for YUI's new verbose style declarations and @namespace. They introduced a bunch of new @ tags for their docs. It seems to work well and I will be uploading a copy shortly that contains both yui-ext and core yui in the same place.

jack.slocum
17 Nov 2006, 12:29 AM
It's up!

Herm
17 Nov 2006, 2:11 AM
Thanks Jack... I went with the same struct (even though my doc is db derived) works well...

ojintoad
17 Nov 2006, 9:56 AM
Hey, I never would have realized this until I went to search for a function name, but there's a little annoyance/incompatibility with your BorderLayout and firefox's search bar. When I do a Type To Search, it'll open the search bar at the bottom which triggers a resize and scrolls me to the top. This isn't quite so bad, but then after awhile of non click the bar will close itself and the resize will again get triggered, refresshing the page to the top and making me lose my place.

I don't know how you would fix this. I guess firefox should really not be resizing the page, but probably creating an overlay. Afterall, by typing I asked to search, not to resize the page.