PDA

View Full Version : what is Notes/Domino?

franklt69
27 May 2007, 5:57 AM
sorry the basic question but I don't know what is Notes/Domino, and Ext.nd?

when user it, which are the advantages?

kind regards
Frank

RWaters
27 May 2007, 9:36 AM
They are both pretty involved, but I can give a basic overview :-P

Both are IBM Enterprise level applications used throughout the world. Lotus Notes is a client application similar to Outlook (but a lot better :D), aside from just email it maintains a calenar and meetings, and allows access to custom written Domino applications. Domino is the server side component and serves as a rapid development platform to create Notes client or Web based applications. The Domino server is really in depth and really combines features that in other systems require many different servers.

Notes/Domino are most definitely not free applications and you probably wouldn't just go off and use them without having them already in place.

Ext.nd contains some additional classes and code to help ease the integration of Ext and Domino. The domino database also has several elements aside from just JavaScript to aid in using Ext.

There's plenty of advantages and disadvantages of Notes/Domino compared to other servers... I would recommend reading up if your still interested :)

fredrik.stockel
27 May 2007, 1:53 PM
This page might give you some more info about Lotus/Domino:

Domino in a Nutshell (http://www.jakehowlett.com/codestore/wiki/index.php?title=Domino_in_a_Nutshell&oldid=3075)

RWaters
27 May 2007, 5:31 PM
Ahh, that is a good reference. Also the person who runs that site (Jake Howlett) is a part of the Ext.nd team :)