View Full Version : Exception Handling in Ext Direct

19 May 2009, 11:18 AM
I think there's something awry with the description of exception handling in the Ext.Direct remoting specification (http://extjs.com/products/extjs/direct.php):

If an exception occurs on the server-side the router should also return the following error information when the router is in debugging mode.

* type – 'exception'
* message – Message which helps the developer identify what error occurred on the server-side
* where – Message which tells the developer where the error occurred on the server-side.

This exception handling within the router should have the ability to be turned on or off. This exception information should never be sent back to the client in a production environment because of security concerns.

Exceptions are meant for server-side exceptions. Not application level errors.

According to that, in a production environment the router should NOT return 'type'='exception', 'message', or 'where' information. If that's the case, then there's no way (in a production environment) to detect any kind of exception from the server on the client-side.

I believe the spec needs to clarify that the type=exception (and possibly the message) should be included but that the 'where' data (ie the stack trace) should be omitted.

For those needing to send errors to the client (ex: form validation, authentication, and other non-system errors) I use the following result data layout.

"message":"Operation successful",

There's no one-right way to do this, but this is what I use to determine if the operation was successful (success:true/false), get any relevant messages from the server, and get any data from the server.

Hope this helps someone.

19 May 2009, 12:42 PM
Agreed. Thanks for the comment.

27 Jun 2011, 10:38 PM
Any news in this thread? Are you refactor Ext.direct api like ExtJS4 in the near future?