PDA

View Full Version : Extjs install best practice?

Entropy
12 Jun 2009, 7:55 AM
I have run a demo by copying the entire extjs download (examples and all) into a RAD webapp and modifying it there. I am finally being allowed to get around to including extjs in our app.

What is best practice on deployment? Clearly I don't want to stuff the entire download into my web content section with my other .js files. But what should I strip out? I see a 'build' subdirectory. Does that mean that I should move only that directory's contents over? That doesn't seem right.

Should I just strip out examples and docs and deploy the rest?

michaelc
12 Jun 2009, 8:11 AM
I have run a demo by copying the entire extjs download (examples and all) into a RAD webapp and modifying it there. I am finally being allowed to get around to including extjs in our app.

What is best practice on deployment? Clearly I don't want to stuff the entire download into my web content section with my other .js files. But what should I strip out? I see a 'build' subdirectory. Does that mean that I should move only that directory's contents over? That doesn't seem right.

Should I just strip out examples and docs and deploy the rest?

you need very very little for you actual deployment.
the answer is in what you include.

in most cases for your end deploy you only need.
stylesheets from the resource folder

/resources/css/ext-all.css this contains all styles required.
ext-all.js or a build of the components you need
one the the adapters most often ext-base.js
/adapter/ext/ext-base.js

that's about it.

tryanDLS
12 Jun 2009, 8:14 AM
You only need deploy the main files, per the include-order.txt file (which doesn't look to be included in the latest RC zip). See the examples also.

All adapter related files below are located in
/adapters/<lib name>/ of this zip file.

Your include order should be:

Ext Stand-alone
-------------------------------------------------------------------
ext-base.js
ext-all.js (or your choice of files)

See the examples folders for more examples.

plus the ext-all.css file
EDIT: plus resources\images\default folder (or other subfolder if you switch themes)

mschwartz
12 Jun 2009, 9:07 AM
And all the images and other resources.

B)

mjlecomte
12 Jun 2009, 10:47 AM
You may also wish to consider deploying no (ExtJS) files to your site. /:)

http://extjs.com/blog/2008/11/18/ext-cdn-custom-builds-compression-and-fast-performance/