PDA

View Full Version : FireFox sometimes continues to show loading...

dbassett74
14 Jul 2009, 6:53 AM
I can't really provide too much detail as the application I am building is pretty large, but I suspect it happens on Ajax Requests. It seems that every once and awhile the FireFox browser will show in the status bar that it is still "loading..." and the animated icon in the upper right corner is still spinning and the progress bar still shows at the bottom right as if it is attempting to load something, when in fact everything has already been loaded and this goes on indefinitely until I refresh the whole screen.

Is there something going on where FireFox thinks my web page is still requesting data but its not? Anyone else ever notice this?

mschwartz
14 Jul 2009, 7:00 AM
Are you using miframe or other iframes?

I suspect the issue has to do with those...

dbassett74
14 Jul 2009, 7:08 AM
Not knowingly.

mschwartz
14 Jul 2009, 7:16 AM
Some of Ext's internal requests are done through an invisible iframe. Particularly form submits with file uploads in them.

I see the problem, too, in my app.

If I open a tab that I know loads an iframe with HTML, the loading indicator stops.

FWIW

dbassett74
14 Jul 2009, 7:22 AM
So would this be considered a bug in FireFox or ExtJs, or neither? To me it looks a bit tacky and confused the end user into thinking they should wait for something to complete.

mschwartz
14 Jul 2009, 7:28 AM
It sure makes the application seem buggy.

I know I'm putting an miframe in a card layout, the iframe/card is not initially shown. If I force my app to show the card and load HTML into it, the "transferring data from..." goes away.

I've seen this before without Ext. It's like the server sends "content-length: 101" and sends only 100 bytes, so the browser hangs on reading the 101st byte. It could be chunked data, too.

tryanDLS
14 Jul 2009, 9:16 AM
So would this be considered a bug in FireFox or ExtJs, or neither? To me it looks a bit tacky and confused the end user into thinking they should wait for something to complete.
Well since you don't post any code, we're going to vote that it's a bug in your code, especially if you don't even know if you're using iframes.

dbassett74
14 Jul 2009, 11:41 AM
With all due respect, I don't think most people know if they're using Iframes or not since in theory, this should be totally shielded from the user. That's the whole point of the ExtJs library? Quite honestly, I don't know 90% of the things that are going on behind the scenes with ExtJs, and neither should I care. It is a high-level library which allows the user to focus on productivity, rather than underlying technologies.