PDA

View Full Version : Co-existence of EXT JS Release 1.1 and Release 3

TheBerliner
17 Jul 2009, 12:47 AM
Hello,

My searches on the Internet and in the forum brought no results, and I am therefore posting this question about co-existence of EXT JS Release 1.1 and Release 3 within two closely coupled applications.

We had somebody external develop a fairly large application using EXT release 1.1 ("oldApp") and we are currently working on a new, smaller application based on release 3 ("newApp"). For some time we would like to avoid having to port "oldApp" to release 3 and rather run both in parallel.

"newApp" will in most cases be used standalone but it would be desirable to have it also running either included into "oldApp" or in a dependent window browser, which is opened from "oldApp".

Therefore my questions are:

1) Is my assumption correct, that "oldApp" and "newApp" could not run inside one browser, because the different EXT releases would conflict with one another?

2) Would it be possible to have both applications running in separate browsers where "newApp" is opened by "oldApp" as a dependent window?

3) If case 2) is not possible, one can probably run both independent from one another from different urls and servers?

Thank you very much in advance for your comments. I am myself still quite new to EXT and also to JavaScript.

Best regards

Condor
17 Jul 2009, 1:01 AM
1) Is my assumption correct, that "oldApp" and "newApp" could not run inside one browser, because the different EXT releases would conflict with one another?

No, they can run in the same window, just not in the same document. You can still run "newApp" inside an IFRAME of "oldApp".

2) Would it be possible to have both applications running in separate browsers where "newApp" is opened by "oldApp" as a dependent window?

Yes, but I would exchange data only using primary types (string, number, boolean, date) and not objects (IE has all kinds of restrictions and memory issues with transferring objects).

TheBerliner
17 Jul 2009, 1:26 AM
No, they can run in the same window, just not in the same document. You can still run "newApp" inside an IFRAME of "oldApp".
Brilliant!

Thank you very much for this good news!

And yes, I know about IE limitations.