PDA

View Full Version : don't shoot me !

22 Jul 2009, 9:08 AM
Don't shoot me if this subject has been covered elsewhere:D

THIS PROBLEM ONLY EXISTS IN EXPLORER (I AM USING V7,firefox and chrome work fine)
I have developed a test script that makes an ajax call. When the ajax call returns html the script works fine. When the script returns javascript (more extjs components etc) the script fails to run.

I have checked the script for syntax errors (lint) as I have already worked out IE is over sensitive to these (shouldn't be there in the first place I know!).

The test script can be found at http://kerrydemo.cleverpelican.net/demo/border.html

I know it isn't a thing of beauty, it is very much a "scratch pad" to try various methods that helps me understand ExtJS. So please no derision.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/help

22 Jul 2009, 9:40 AM
I would stop using global vars, first and foremost.

22 Jul 2009, 9:40 AM
btw, are you developing with the Microsoft Script debugger (and debugbar)?

VinylFox
22 Jul 2009, 9:58 AM
"The requested URL /demo/adapter/ext/ext-base-event-min.js was not found on this server."

Would a missing script have something to do with your problem?

22 Jul 2009, 11:39 AM
"I would stop using global vars, first and foremost" -- i am sorry but i am going to need a little more help on this. i have been watching your video tutorials and they are excellent. if you could maybe explain the global variable issue and maybe point at an example and alternative strategy it would help immensely. I am going to buy your book in the next few days but i do want to make progress asap.

BTW i am not using the MS script debugger/debug bar but will look at it straight away.

Thanks again for your help

VinylFox
22 Jul 2009, 12:18 PM
What Jay is referring to is the 'ctrContainer' and 'p' vars that are in your showpage.php. These are added to the global scope, which is a bad habit to get into. Using FireBug you can see these on the DOM tab which shows the global scope.

22 Jul 2009, 1:20 PM
vinylfox, many thanks for the explanation, that makes eminent sense. However, even with the global vars removed the problem remain, as you can see the response from the php file is the simplest of ExtJS components yet IE 7 cannot render it correctly. Any thought ?

tryanDLS
22 Jul 2009, 1:50 PM
1. Please give your posts meaningful titles.

2. Update your sample page with the 3.0 final release instead of what appears to be a mix of RC1 and pre-alpha code and retest.

3. Looks like you're missing a height on your north region.

4. Simplify your code - get the basic layout working first without adding treepanels, autoloading, etc.