PDA

View Full Version : Converting ASP Query into EXTjs table

venomizer
28 Jul 2009, 3:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm very new to Javascript and Extjs, so I don't really know where to start with this.

Basically, I have some ASP code which connects to a database containing various records. I would like to be able to create a simple EXTjs table which will allow me to search through the database and display the results.

My code is ready to accept SQL queries. I understand that before the EXTjs libraries will read any data, it must first me converted to a JSON format?

Any pointers to just get me started would be much appreciated.

Thanks

28 Jul 2009, 5:03 AM
you can use XML, JSON or even Array data.

Google .net and JSON and figure out how to get simple SQL queries to return JSON, then look to integrate them with Ext JS following any of the examples provided.

venomizer
28 Jul 2009, 5:29 AM
Thanks, but another noob question coming up. Is there a difference between ASP and .Net?

28 Jul 2009, 5:30 AM
i believe ASP runs on .net. If you're new to the technology, look up some forums or go buy a book. I apologize if this seems harsh, but this forum is for Ext JS, not server-side specific languages.

venomizer
28 Jul 2009, 6:45 AM
Thats no problem.

Fortunately I have been able to convert my data into a JSON format. Now I'm trying to work out how I can input this into an appropriate ExtJS grid, which hopefully is relavent to this forum?

tryanDLS
28 Jul 2009, 6:50 AM
"Input it"???

You have to make a request to your ASP page that returns the data in the proper format. This is no different than the existing examples that call a PHP page.

28 Jul 2009, 7:06 AM
+1 for Tim's comment.

Just look (via firebug) how the JSON is formatted. There is also a grid FAQ at http://extjs.com/learn

28 Jul 2009, 7:06 AM
By the way, CH7 and 8 of Ext JS in Action are dedicated to learning data grids and are an excellent resource for those who want to know more about how the data store works with consumers like the grids.