PDA

View Full Version : [3.0] Ext.ListView vs Ext.grid.GridPanel

harley.333
8 Sep 2009, 8:42 AM
What's the pros and cons of each? I've looked at the docs, the wiki, and the forum, and there's no discussion of about this. Can someone enlighten me :) ?

8 Sep 2009, 10:23 AM
umm...

really?

The docs i see: http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/docs/?class=Ext.ListView

Ext.ListView is a fast and light-weight implentation of a Grid like view with the following characteristics:

* resizable columns
* selectable
* column widths are initially proportioned by percentage based on the container width and number of columns
* uses templates to render the data in any required format
* no horizontal scrolling
* no editing

harley.333
8 Sep 2009, 12:02 PM
Right. I saw that. As far as I can tell, ListView has alot of the Grid's functionality. But, what's the difference between the two? What makes the Grid better or worse.

The ListView is light-weight, so I assume that means faster.

The Grid is also a Panel, so it inherits Toolbars, etc.

Are there any other differences?

I'm not a newbie to Ext. IMO, the Grid was already pretty fast - what makes the ListView necessary?

As it stands, it looks like the Grid is becoming obsolete. Creating a reusable ListViewPanel class would bring the Panel's functionality to the ListView. What else is so different?

8 Sep 2009, 1:01 PM
If you are not a newb to the framework, then you should be able to read the listview source and come up with the answers :)

the grid is not fast when it comes to large number of columns and rows.

harley.333
9 Sep 2009, 6:24 AM
Does anyone have anything helpful to say? I don't mind reading source, but a simple answer in the forum can be helpful to more than just myself.

9 Sep 2009, 6:27 AM
Dude, it's just a columnized DataView. There is *not* much to it.