PDA

View Full Version : basic API doc navigation

dude
16 Sep 2009, 1:17 PM
I'm just starting to pick up ext js, css, and javascript, and so I may be missing the obvious...

When wandering through the API docs, I'm not always sure how to find data for certain things. Advice would be appreciated. For example, there is this snippet from ext-3.0.0/examples/chart/reload-chart.js :
extraStyle: {
xAxis: {
labelRotation: -90
}
}

I want to learn from this example, and so I go to the API docs and look up Panel (since it is part of
a panel definition) in order to learn about "extraStyle". There is no mention of extraStyle in there, but I then see that the
xtype is columnchart and so I look at the API doc for Chart which seems like a likely parent for that xtype. Within there I see that extraStyle takes an object.
But how do I figure out what are the valid values for that object? How do I know xAxis is one of those valid values? The link to the source code just tells
me that it defaults to null.

Similarly, for xAxis, how do I determine what values can be set? I see there is one called labelRotation and there
must be others. From the context of the other code I conjecture (incorrectly?) that it is of type CategoryAxis and when I
check the docs there is nothing called labelRotation.

Thanks

VinylFox
16 Sep 2009, 4:57 PM
Your doing it right, but the charts are a new thing, so documentation is still being put together completely.

If you find things that are not documented well, then a look at the source might help you figure out what to do.

There is also a documentation fixes thread in the bugs forum - adding things to that will get them fixed quicker.

VinylFox
16 Sep 2009, 5:00 PM
Also, some configs are documented on the YUI side of things.. http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/charts/

dude
17 Sep 2009, 6:36 AM
VinylFox,
Thanks for the reply. The YUI charts ptr has been especially helpful.