PDA

View Full Version : newbie question, passing data around

craigorymaas
28 Sep 2009, 7:23 AM
Hi all
I am just getting started in web programming in general. I am knowledegable w/ Java.

Right now I have an Ext combo box that is being populated from an xml. After the user selects a value from the combo box a button becomes enabled, allowing them to click "Next" and go to the next page.

On the next page I have an Ext grid to grid drag and drop that I want to populate from the same xml w/ values corresponding to the selection they made on the first page. I'm having trouble figuring out how to pass this value to the next page...

Any suggestions or examples of similar things? I have searched through the forums and have determined I must be searching for the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Craig

28 Sep 2009, 10:18 AM
Is the "next page" a page load/different URL??

craigorymaas
28 Sep 2009, 10:34 AM
It is. Right now I was thinking about doing something like

window.open(newpage.php?result=whatever);
However, after I used GET to grab the variable in php I couldn't figure out a way to use that in a javascript function. I really have no idea if this is the right way to do things though.
Potentially the Next button could just store the result somewhere and load the grid into the div component that is already there?

I am kind of just looking for the design pattern/example code for how people accomplish things like this.

Thanks

28 Sep 2009, 11:17 AM
if you're going to do that, then pass the ID to the new page, and let the back end control the view