PDA

View Full Version : How to get position of element in Panel relative to page?

dbassett74
18 Nov 2009, 10:48 AM
I have a Panel with a Button in it located at x: 50 and y: 50. If I have the Panel set to autoScroll = true and I resize the Panel over the Button, causing the scrollbars to appear, and I scroll all the way to the right, is there a way to get the position of the Button relative to the page (browser window), rather than just relative to the Panel, which will still report 50x50? So I guess somehow it would have to account for the scroll offset or something, for example, if I happen to scroll over by 20px, it should return x: 30, not 50. Any help would be appreciated.

aw1zard2
18 Nov 2009, 11:55 AM
I would think if you capture the size of the panel first off then after resize get the new size that will give you the offset number.

Panel before resize: x = 100
Panel after resize: x=120

button x= 50
xoffset = 20

so a touch of x=30 would hit the button.

I see where your going with this on a touchscreen solution. But not sure why you would need it as when you touch the screen and let go that equals a mouse click which will filter down to the button anyways with out you having to calculate anything.

My touchscreen app works with no recalc of where the button is.

:)

dbassett74
18 Nov 2009, 12:47 PM
Nothing to do with a touchscreen app. But what you have suggested here, I don't think will work. I'm not necessarily resizing the panel, it was just used a test case to illustrate my question. My question is more to do with, when then container has been scrolled to any position, how do I get the offset of that scroll, so that I can do something with that.

Anyone know how to get the amount the container element has been scrolled either vertically, or horizontally?